Select to view content in your preferred language

XY for point symbols is reversed in ArcGIS Pro?

Jump to solution
03-22-2024 01:26 PM
Public_HealthObservatory
Regular Contributor

In ArcMap, if I wanted to offset a point symbol, X moved it right, -X moved it left, Y moved it up, -Y moved it down.

Public_HealthObservatory_0-1711139021863.png

But in ArcGIS Pro, it's completely backwards??!?! X moves it left, Y moves it down, etc. 

Public_HealthObservatory_1-1711139090882.png

This is really messing with my workflow/my brain. Why?!? Is it a setting I need to change? Is there some logic I am missing here? Any insight greatly appreciated!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MErikReedAugusta
Frequent Contributor

In that Pro screenshot, you're not moving the symbol, you're moving its anchor point (I think).

To analogize to Desktop, it's like moving the dotted line crosshair, instead of the symbol.

That being said, I'm honestly not sure that I've noticed this or if it's possible to change, which makes me wonder if it's flipped or not on my end.  Most of the things I've used offset on have been shadows on labels, and I'm used to that being a certain amount of squirrely in every program I use because I usually want to move right and down (usually +X, but -Y).

Will have to explore this on Monday when I'm back at my desk.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
MErikReedAugusta
Frequent Contributor

In that Pro screenshot, you're not moving the symbol, you're moving its anchor point (I think).

To analogize to Desktop, it's like moving the dotted line crosshair, instead of the symbol.

That being said, I'm honestly not sure that I've noticed this or if it's possible to change, which makes me wonder if it's flipped or not on my end.  Most of the things I've used offset on have been shadows on labels, and I'm used to that being a certain amount of squirrely in every program I use because I usually want to move right and down (usually +X, but -Y).

Will have to explore this on Monday when I'm back at my desk.

Public_HealthObservatory
Regular Contributor

Well that's embarassing 😅 you're totally right, I was in the wrong place - not sure how I missed that. And since I can't delete this post I shall sit here in my embarassment and hope that it helps someone else - thank you!

0 Kudos