Windows 10 and the LTSC and SA update cycles and support

05-25-2018 12:10 PM
DEWright_CA
Occasional Contributor III

With Microsoft moving the the SA (Semi-Annual) schedule for major updates to the OS; aside from the monthly Patch Tuesday cycle there is another scope. They have create the LTSC (Long-Term Service Channel) model which is a different deployment and support model for some use cases.

Per Microsoft Overview of Windows as a service

There are some potentially serious implications when it comes to functionality and supportability. I need to know from #ESRI if there are issues with the LTSC model and what those may be when you are talking about workstation deployments.

Thank you;

0 Kudos
7 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

David

I doubt this will garner the attention of those in the know in the ArcGIS PRO place, so I will flag a couple of people that might be able to direct the query

Christopher CataniaCandace LoyaMichelle Mathias

0 Kudos
DEWright_CA

Thank you Dan Patterson‌, I tried reaching out through the Support group and seemed to get a blank stare.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

As in you filed a tech support issue (through the Support link at the top of the page) and no one got back to you? or they had no idea? 

The people I flagged haven't responded so perhaps they know no one that might have an off-hand answer.

0 Kudos
DEWright_CA

Yes, I now have a ticket open.

0 Kudos
MichelleMathias
Esri Community Manager

Hi Dan, thanks for bringing this to our attention, I will try to find out who we could direct this question to.

Michelle Mathias
Manager, Community Experience & Programs
0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

David Wright‌ In the supported operating systems section ArcGIS Pro 2.1 system requirements—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop we show the latest update or service pack tested.  Here is an example from ArcGIS Pro 2.1.

(For Pro 2.2, the latest update tested is Version 1803 with May 8, 2018 update)

Note that the page also says, "Prior and future updates or service packs on these operating systems are supported unless otherwise stated. The operating system version and updates must also be supported by the operating system provider."

There is also the Supported Environment Policy.  It seems that these should address your concern.  

Does that help?

DEWright_CA

So in that graphic Kory Kramer, we would need to assume the Microsoft LTSC builds of Windows 10 will not be supported for either desktop environments. Since per Microsoft, the SA and LTSC builds are very different by deployment and feature levels. It would honestly be better for ESRI to support the LTSC first; since that will represent the minimum functional version of Windows 10, with the SA supporting newer features and device sets.

You can trace through the updated docs here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/itpro/windows-10/release-information that they have some very distinct issues that at the OS and Hardware have potential impacts for all of your Enterprise level customers.

0 Kudos