Why won't ArcGIS Pro symbolize a total range?

Jump to solution
04-22-2019 10:52 AM
EricEagle
Occasional Contributor III

I have a hex grid (polygons) containing a Point_Count field (an output of Summarize Within).

The FC contains around 163,000 rows.

The Point_Count field contains values between 1 and 1200.

However, whenever I try to do a graduated symbology, the Maximum is set to 661.  When I look at statistics on the Symbology panel, it incorrectly lists the Maximum as 661.  Thus, even if I manually set the histogram to 1200 max, it "snaps" back to 661 regardless.  Consequently it will not symbolize around 200 polygons that represent values over 661.

I tested this error by doing the following:

- Creating a new feature class containing the same content and loading it from scratch (the previous layer was loaded and symbolized via script).  No difference.

- Took the same data (both original and copied) and loaded it into QGIS 3.4.  It picked up the correct min/max values without issue on both datasets.

My guess is that Pro is trying to be "helpful" somewhere but durned if I know how or why.

Crossposted from https://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/319517/why-is-arcgis-pro-not-symbolizing-my-entire-range-of-...

Note: no specific data is required to recreate this - anyone can take a random cluster of dots across a grid of this size, run summarize within, and obtain a similar output.  My cells are 50m radius (circle inside).

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Have you tried upping the Maximum sample size?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Have you tried upping the Maximum sample size?

0 Kudos
EricEagle
Occasional Contributor III

Hey Kory, that did the trick.  Because of the distribution I had to push it up to 163000 but it did work.  Thanks!

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Great.  You might want to go over here and vote up if you haven't: https://community.esri.com/ideas/14414-no-sample-sized-reached-error-in-arcgis-pro

0 Kudos