Select to view content in your preferred language

Why isn't "XY table to Point" working?

08-17-2020 02:33 PM
AnthonyPodesto
Occasional Contributor

It runs through the process without creating an error and completes "successfully".  However, it does not create a new feature class and doesn't add anything to my map.  Nothing is different than what I normally do, I don't think.

Any insight is much appreciated.

19 Replies
MervynLotter
Frequent Contributor

A bit of a long shot, but can you look at the Environments tab and can you check the Extent setting. 

0 Kudos
AnthonyPodesto
Occasional Contributor

0 Kudos
MervynLotter
Frequent Contributor

Thanks, then there is also an option to set the default Environment settings under the Analysis tab, can you check that the Extent was not set there. I have had this bite me before. 

0 Kudos
RandyKreuziger1
Frequent Contributor

@AnthonyPodesto did you ever get this issue resolved?  I'm having the same thing happen on 3 out of 6 ArcGIS Pro installations.  The Display XY Data tool generates a point feature class in the default gdb on 3 of this system but not the other 3.  In each case I using the same file.  I stripped the file down to one record with a sitenumber and x and y, that's it.

0 Kudos
AnthonyPodesto
Occasional Contributor

Hey Randy,

I went back through my correspondence with ESRI and added most of what we went through.  There was nothing that they had me check that actually made a difference in the tool working.  Frustrated, I tried randomly the next day and it worked.  I can't even begin to tell you what the issue was.  Sorry.

--------------- Original Message ---------------
Sent: 8/19/2020 5:14 PM
To: apodesto@ssjid.com
Subject: Esri Case #02617439 - XY Table To Point - Not Working

Hello Anthony,

Thank you for your time and patience over the call today. Following is a brief of what we discussed over the phone and performed over the screen share, in an attempt to troubleshoot and resolve the issue:

You showed me how you would right click the csv file in the contents to Display XY. We put in the required parameters for the XY Table to Point tool that came up. The tool ran successfully, however, the data could not be found in the geodatabase and the data was also not added to the map.

Further, we tried putting the output to a newly created geodatabase, however, the issue was still persistent.

We tried changing the coordinate system in the tool, but that too did not make a difference.

Next, we set the output to a file location, however, no shapefile was created.

You shared with me your csv file and I was able to get the points displayed on ArcGIS Pro 2.6 at my end.

Additionally, I shared with you an excel file but the issue was still persistent. We tried getting the tool to work for the excel and the csv in a new project as well, however, that did not resolve our issue.

We tried the same workflow in ArcMap and that worked as expected.

We performed a repair of the application, but the issue still persisted.

Later, we made use of the Make XY Event Layer Tool and we were able to get the data displayed. As discussed, the output layer created is temporary and you would have to export it, to save it on your machine. Here is the link to this tool documentation for your future reference: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/tool-reference/data-management/make-xy-event-layer.htm

It would be great if you could please try logging onto your machine which has ArcGIS Pro with a different user profile and then check, if you still see the same issue. Please let me know of the findings at your end.

If you have any other queries, you can reach me by either replying to this email or call me on 888-377-4575 citing the case #02617439 and I will be more than happy to assist you. Our standard support hours are from 5 AM to 5 PM Pacific Time, Monday through Friday.

Have a nice day ahead!

Regards,
Delpha
Esri Support Services
https://my.esri.com/#/support/cases/02617439
+1 (888) 377-4575 (USA)
+1 (909) 793-3774 (Outside the USA)
https://support.esri.com/en/

THE SCIENCE OF WHERE™

0 Kudos
PaulSweeney3
Frequent Contributor

I had this issue accessing files remotely via vpn. When I move the file in question to my desktop it worked. 

0 Kudos
AnthonyPodesto
Occasional Contributor

I AM using remote desktop, however everything is hosted on the same machine at the office.  I have a tech call with ESRI in the morning, I'll post the results on here. Thanks everyone

0 Kudos
AmitGajurel
New Contributor

@AnthonyPodesto  Were you able to find a solution? I am having the same issue. I was perfectly able to do this on 2.6 but when I update to 2.7, I got the same issue you mentioned. The tools says successful but nothing shows up in the gdb.

0 Kudos
DanHadley
New Contributor

@AnthonyPodestoI am also wondering if you were able to find a solution. I am having the exact same issue and am also working at 2.7. The tool runs and says successful, but nothing shows up in the gdb. I've refreshed, restarted, used multiple projections, all with the same result. Any help would be much appreciated

0 Kudos
Nunottx
New Contributor

in my case everything worked well untill i installed the update patch 2.7.3, now i have same problem, XY Table to Point gives us a sucessfull while dont create the shapefile neither the layer for it.

i tested in local drive, network drive and default location, nothing. the file isent created.

the file i have per default that was working is ArcGISPro_26_175036.exe, this one was working.

gonna un-install everything to see if fixes it.

FIXED:

uninstall the one not working, 2.7.3 , installed ArcGISPro_26_175036.exe and updated to 2.7.3, now is working.

GIS Planner, IT
0 Kudos