Select to view content in your preferred language

Which tool for CMR study?

03-07-2023 04:16 AM
Arne
by
New Contributor

Hi,

for my bachelor thesis I did a catch mark and release (CMR) study with dragonflies. Now I got a lot of points of the single dragonflies (individual marking) and where I found them again.

I would like to know the distance that each individuum did fly and also the mean of it. I would like to make this with the linear distance and also with the dragonflies only using water ways (ditches).

I tried to find the right tools for that, but I don't know which might be the right one.

Near, Distance Accumulation are guesses of me.

Can anyone help here?

cheers Arne

0 Kudos
1 Reply
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You could begin by calculating the coordinates from the shape field for both files.

Assuming you are working in a smallish area, and you used a projected coordinate system and have a common ID field to denote each dragonfly, you could then do a Join to bring the tables together.  Calculating the euclidean distance between the two times using

XY To Line (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

At that point and in a perfect world with behaving dragonflies, you could split your waterways using

Split Line at Point (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

and calculate the segment lengths along the watercourse and determine their lengths.

All the procedures, problems and solutions you had to implement and the lack of perfectly behaving dragonflies will constitute your thesis 😉

... sort of retired...