Where is the what3words batch tool?

Jump to solution
02-18-2021 07:33 PM
James_OKane
New Contributor III

Hi Guys,

I've recently installed the what3words geolocator onto ArcGIS Enterprise. On the what3words website (https://what3words.com/products/gis-extensions/) they mention being able to "Convert a layer of coordinates to 3 word addresses". And in https://developer.what3words.com/tools/gis-extensions/arcgis they state that in Pro you can "Batch convert between 3 word address and coordinates and coordinates and 3 word addresses using the Toolbox.". For the life of me I can't figure out where this tool is. I've searched Geonet and all the usual places for help but can't find anything. 

So my question is where is this batch tool that keeps being mentioned? I don't what to do this manually!

Thanks!
James

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
James_OKane
New Contributor III

Hi @Robert_LeClair,

Thanks for this. The task I want to do is to give some private gates that don't have addresses some form of searchable location for emergency services. So rather than geocode an address I want to do the reverse, use the point locations of the gates to calc a w3w location. I tried every variant of the Reverse Geocode tool but Pro crashes everytime. I guess its not expecting a 3rd party locator.  

Gates to geocodeGates to geocode

If I wanted to do this I think I'd have to code something up in Arcade or Python using a function in Field Calculator. Its probably quicker for me to do the 30 something gates manually. It'd be awesome if the tool in Pro worked as expected. Thanks for your help!

Cheers,
James

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Share tab... Locator

(can't test myself)

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
James_OKane
New Contributor III

Hi Dan,

Hmm. Not sure where you mean. You can see what I have on my share tab in the attached. 

Thanks,
James

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

I'm thinking it's going to the Geocode Addresses GP tool, doing a right-click and Batch - see attached graphic.
What3WordsBatch.JPG

0 Kudos
James_OKane
New Contributor III

Hi @Robert_LeClair,

Thanks for this. The task I want to do is to give some private gates that don't have addresses some form of searchable location for emergency services. So rather than geocode an address I want to do the reverse, use the point locations of the gates to calc a w3w location. I tried every variant of the Reverse Geocode tool but Pro crashes everytime. I guess its not expecting a 3rd party locator.  

Gates to geocodeGates to geocode

If I wanted to do this I think I'd have to code something up in Arcade or Python using a function in Field Calculator. Its probably quicker for me to do the 30 something gates manually. It'd be awesome if the tool in Pro worked as expected. Thanks for your help!

Cheers,
James

0 Kudos
MatthewDriscoll
MVP Alum

I am not familiar with the tool, but the documentation you linked to says to add it to ArcGIS Online.  So if you added it there and go to Pro Catalog -> Portal -> My Content and it should be there.

0 Kudos
James_OKane
New Contributor III

I reached out the w3w team. There is a Excel plugin or online batch converter tool. This is a good way to batch convert coords to w3w locations but of course must be done outside Pro.

0 Kudos