Where are custom keyboard shortcuts saved?

Jump to solution
12-22-2023 04:37 AM
Labels (1)
BarbaraSchneider2
Occasional Contributor II

Since version 3.2 it is possible to create custom keyboard shortcuts in Help - Keyboard Shortcuts.

Where are they stored? Not in the project and not in ProSettings.xsd.

In Project - Options - Customize the Ribbon, it is possible to export the Customizations.

Tags (1)
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Custom keywords shortcuts and custom ribbon items are stored in your C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\ESRI\ArcGIS.Desktop.Config.daml file

If you want to copy them to another machine, you can copy/paste the *.daml file to the other PC.

View solution in original post

BarbaraSchneider2

Tim Ormsby from the ArcGIS Pro Documentation Team just wrote me that keyboard shortcuts can be exported in the dialog "Customize The Ribbon". This isn't clearly visible in the GUI. Therefore, he will add this to the documentation.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Custom keywords shortcuts and custom ribbon items are stored in your C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\ESRI\ArcGIS.Desktop.Config.daml file

If you want to copy them to another machine, you can copy/paste the *.daml file to the other PC.

BarbaraSchneider2

Tim Ormsby from the ArcGIS Pro Documentation Team just wrote me that keyboard shortcuts can be exported in the dialog "Customize The Ribbon". This isn't clearly visible in the GUI. Therefore, he will add this to the documentation.

0 Kudos
BarbaraSchneider2

Robert,

thank you! This was exactly what I was looking for. Please add this information to the ArcGIS Pro documentation. I couldn't find it anywhere!

Barbara

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

You're welcome Barbara!  Glad it helped out!  As an instructor in Esri Training Services, I do not have access to the help pages to update documentation.  BUT at the lower right bottom of every help page is "feedback on this topic" - you can click that and provide feedback and/or request information be added to the page.  This could be a good first step to implement and add to the Help page here.

0 Kudos
BarbaraSchneider2

Hello Robert,

I added a comment to this help page.

Something else: do you have a reply to this question: https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-image-analyst-questions/where-are-3d-input-device-options-saved... ?

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Barbara - I'll do some digging around and see what I can learn/find about mouse assignment storage locations.

0 Kudos
EricSmith4
New Contributor

About 95% of the time I'm trying to set a keyboard shortcut, it doesn't save to the file. Some key binds refuse to save, many tools refuse to save, and annoyingly, there are default ESRI shortcuts that it won't let me over write. Does anyone have a fix for this? It's been an annoyance since Pro 2.x, and with ArcMap officially being phased out this is going to cause a SIGNIFICANT decrease in feature extraction / editing speed.

What used to be three quick keystrokes and mouse extraction is now many more clicks plus at least two menus navigation, and redundant feature confirmations, on a software that's already lagging to get through all the menu options. Honestly, I wouldn't call Pro mature enough for basic editing unless this is fixed, this is like pulling teeth.

Perhaps a workaround would be to have a list of all available tools and write the settings manually into that file to ensure they're saved? Or maybe a simple little app (like the keybind window ArcMap has) to assign key shortcuts, that then outputs to this file?

0 Kudos