When "Clip Layer" option is used (Map Properties PRO 2.3),export to pdf does not recognize some settings

01-31-2019 03:31 PM
HalinaLewandowski
New Contributor

New release 2.3 PRO has a map properties option to clip drawing layer(s) beyond specified extent. I used the "Clip to the outline of the feature" option, then I specified which layer should be excluded from this clip. The project map looks fine. However when map is exported to pdf, it looses some of that setup and draws undesired layers beyond clip boundaries (therefore pdf is useless)

Any suggestions?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
YasserAyad
New Contributor II

I am experiencing the same problem. The map is clipped and displays perfectly in ArcGIS Pro, but once exported (mine to jpg/png), some layers still extend beyond the defined clipping shape.

I found a workaround this issue. I made a copy of one of the layers that showed beyond the clipping boundaries in the export, changed its symbol to no fill and no stroke line. Called it Dummy, I then excluded the Dummy layer from the clipping. It somehow made the other layers disappear from the exported png file.

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Halina Lewandowski‌ and Yasser Ayad   Are you both running with Patch 2 (Pro 2.3.2)?

Can you provide more details about what types of features continue to show up in the export that are outside of the clipped boundary (Points, lines, polygons, text...?) and how those are symbolized?

Any screenshots of how the map clipping itself is set up?

What you describe would be a bug, yet I don't see anything in the system describing this.  When I test on a daily build of 2.4, here is what I see:

Map with no clipping:

Clipped to Riverside county:

Exported to PDF and viewed in Adobe Acrobat Reader DC:

Here is how the clipping is set up:

'Clip to the outline of features' using the Selected option.

Please provide more details so that we can understand the issue you're seeing.  It might also be a good option to call Technical Support to report something that you feel is a bug:

https://support.esri.com/en/contact-tech-support

0 Kudos
HalinaLewandowski
New Contributor

Thank you for your replay. Unfortunately I'm getting different results 

0 Kudos
AdamEversole1
Esri Contributor

Hello Halina, Yasser,

I noticed this issue was the same as Clip layers not honored when printing or exporting  I hope you don't mind if i post this here too.

""

To recap, our support team was recently presented with this issue. A Project Package was provided that demonstrated this problem. We noticed the Clipping layer was in a group.

Using the Zion National park sample from the ArcTutor Data , we put the park boundary in a group and clip was not upheld in the PDF export. Removing the group resolved the issue in the tests.

If you're running into this problem please try ungrouping any problematic layers in the map, or feel free to contact Esri Technical Support if your still experiencing the issue or if you would like to have your account attached to bug record that was submitted. Ref BUG-000125378

""

Cheers,

Adam

Esri Technical Support

RoseF
by
Occasional Contributor

I've been having the same problem that others have described. I checked for grouping and there isn't any grouping in my project at all. I ended up just making a "screen" layer that accomplished the same task. For me, the current project I'm working on is an easy fix. However, I've used the "clip" function in ArcMap on other maps that will not be nearly as easy to update to a Pro project. All of THAT said, I see that there is an update to be made to Pro (2.4.3) so I'll make that update before reporting a bug.

0 Kudos
AdamDaily
Occasional Contributor II

Same issue here using Pro 2.5.2. PDF export does not recognize clip extents set in map. I am not using a clipping layer in a group. I tried JPG and PNG exports as well with same results (plus they take forever to export a single map frame).

Any solutions to this without having to create all new layers to get the output I am wanting?Map extents using clip layer, vs the pdf export that does not clip to those extents

0 Kudos
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello All, 

An issue with incorrect export results was discovered when the last layer in the map has layer transparency (this includes polygons with no fill) - see BUG-000128447 (The export layout does not support the clipping option into the map series if transparency is applied to the last layers in ArcGIS Pro).  Please see GeoNet post - ArcGIS Pro 2.4: Issues with exporting map series (clipped to index feature) to PDF for more details. This bug has been resolved in version 2.6.

This is one scenario that we know, and more importantly, can reproduce, where clipping is not working as expected.  If you feel your scenario is different please contact technical supportThey are better equipped to handle troubleshooting steps and gather bug data. They can be contacted at https://support.esri.com/en/contact-tech-support.

Hope this helps, 

Tom

AdamDaily
Occasional Contributor II

Removing transparency from my imagery layer did correct the problem.