Select to view content in your preferred language

Weird behavior in Time functionality in ArcGIS Pro?

04-16-2020 12:16 PM
EricEagle
Occasional Contributor III

Sorry for the vague title but not sure how else to put this.  I'm on ArcGIS Pro 2.5.

I've been moving mountains to get our org to adopt ArcGIS Pro and for the most part it's been great.

However I have experienced nothing but tears of frustration and ashes and wasted lies in dealing with the temporal filtering functionality in ArcGIS Pro.  It is really... not good.  But I am not the sharpest lightbulb so it could be something I'm doing wrong.  I figured I'd ask here before I file a bug.

I've got a single feature class (polylines); that feature class has a field called "temporal".  The values of that field are date-time stamps.

I go to the feature class properties and enable Time.  Each feature has a single time field.  I set the time notation (Time Format) to YYYY-MM-DDThh:mm:ss and the Time Extent then populates automatically.  All is good!  The data is not a live feed, set to UTC, no offset, hit OK.

This is where it gets crazy confusing.  And I'm sorry but the whole Time tab UI needs to be torn down and reimagined because it's kind of a mess.

Anyway. I have the Time filtering button (enabled).  Then I have the "Current Time" block.  It is set to start time enabled, with the start time locked (as I want to view the data cumulatively as I drag the time slider end widget).  According to the documentation this is the overall "map" time.  So I set it to the same thing as my one feature layer.

There is a Span field there that seems populated with some random value that has no relationship with my feature class (which is the only layer loaded).

Under Full Extent I set it to my feature class with the time.  It automatically populates the Start and the End.  Set the time zone to UTC.

Aaaaaand.... nothing shows up.  I drag the slider to cover periods where I know there is data, and nothing shows up (on the map or in attribute table).  I have tried every single combination of options in the Current Time window (which is already bad from a UI/UX perspective).  I've tried Use Time Span, manually set Step Intervals, or a fixed Number of Steps.  I've tried Time Snapping and no Time Snapping.  In fact at the end I just open up the slider all the way, to the full extent, and nothing draws.

I've tried manually modifying the Span field under Current Time.  Still nothing.  The features do not draw when filtered by time even though the layer properties recognize the temporal value without issue.

I've checked all time fields, there are no erroneous or malformed values or geometry.

I tried creating a new feature class of points, and that didn't work either, so I am thinking there is a bug with 2.5's time manager.  Thoughts?

0 Kudos
0 Replies