Watershed Tool Troubleshooting

11-23-2021 11:45 AM
ThiPham12
New Contributor III

Hi Everyone, 

I created a set of watersheds using a set of pourpoints raster, which have been snapped to the location of highest accumulation using the snap pourpoint tool and the Watershed tool. When I generated the watershed, one of the watersheds has void spaces within the watershed. I was wondering if anyone have faced this problem before and how you resolved it? I attached a picture of the watershed below. 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Did you fill "sinks" before running the flow direction tool? Do you have a depressionless dem?

How Flow Direction works—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

Creating a depressionless DEM—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
tzz_12
by
New Contributor III

After using the fill tool with the directional raster, there were six instances of sinks filled-in. However, the resulting dem raster is not located where the original dem is located but at Hudson Bay. I am wonder how I am using the fill tool incorrectly? Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I suspect your map and input files and output file were in different coordinate systems, use the Environments tab on tools to make sure you get your coordinate systems correct

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
ThiPham12
New Contributor III
Hi Dan,
I was able to successfully use the fill tool on my original raster, but there was no depression found. Do you know if the fill tool should also work on a directional raster? If there is no depression, do you have other ideas of what may have caused the void spaces in the watershed? I was wondering, is there a tool to fill in void spaces in a polygon?

Thank you so much for your help!

0 Kudos
JanCilliers_76
New Contributor

Good day

Used the d8 flow direction from a 5m dem to create the watershed, but it calculated only 1 bock or a small area around the stream. A can see the watershed must be a lot bigger with the stream data I have.

0 Kudos