Select to view content in your preferred language

Visualize temporal data

Jump to solution
05-16-2023 07:34 PM
Labels (1)
ArseneApabaga
New Contributor

Hello, i'm currently working on a project and i'm having trouble with the temporal slider feature. I have a shapefile which include the area i'm working on by census tract, i also have a table file with the same census tract and percentage data. My goal is to join both the table file to the shapefile and use the time slider so that i can see the change over the year, the timeframe is from 1995 to 2022. The issue i'm having is that during the join operation which is done with census tract as the common attribute, only a part of the table field census tract are joined to the shapefile, the table field having a set of census tract for each year from 1995 to 2022 the shapefile only join the first year (1995) since it doesnt have the same numbers of census tract. 

As such my question is how can i join both the table to the shapefile so that it include the census tract for all the year ? 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BarryNorthey
Occasional Contributor III

Try converting the shapefile to a file geodatabase feature class and convert the table to a table in the same file geodatabase and try the join.

"When using data where a one-to-many or many-to-many relationship exists, use a relate or relationship class to establish the relationship between the datasets. However, you can create a join under these circumstances. When you create a join in such a case, there are differences between how tools and other layer-specific settings work depending on the data source. If you are using data in the same geodatabase to create the join, all matching records are returned. If you are using non database data, such as shapefiles or dBASE tables, to create the join, only the first matching record is returned".

View solution in original post

1 Reply
BarryNorthey
Occasional Contributor III

Try converting the shapefile to a file geodatabase feature class and convert the table to a table in the same file geodatabase and try the join.

"When using data where a one-to-many or many-to-many relationship exists, use a relate or relationship class to establish the relationship between the datasets. However, you can create a join under these circumstances. When you create a join in such a case, there are differences between how tools and other layer-specific settings work depending on the data source. If you are using data in the same geodatabase to create the join, all matching records are returned. If you are using non database data, such as shapefiles or dBASE tables, to create the join, only the first matching record is returned".