Vector Tile Option Not Appearing in Layer Type

Jump to solution
12-13-2019 09:53 AM
HaskettGeorge
New Contributor III

Hello.

I am trying to publish a vector tile service to our portal, however when I attempt to do so I only see the options for Feature and Map Image in the Layer Type section.

The instructions I am trying to follow are the   Define a map in ArcGIS Pro and publish as a vector tile layer

instructions found at: Publish hosted vector tile layers—Portal for ArcGIS | ArcGIS Enterprise 

Am I missing a step?  Any assistance would be great.  Thanks!

I am using data stored on an SQL server that has been resgistered with the ArcGIS Server, and am using ArcGIS Pro 2.4.1 and ArcGIS Enterprise 10.7.1

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JacobHelfman1
New Contributor III

According to step 6 under the "Define a map in ArcGIS Pro and publish as a vector tile layer" section of the documentation(Publish hosted vector tile layers—Portal for ArcGIS | ArcGIS Enterprise ), you should have the option to set the layer type to Vector Tile if you are copying the data. However, since you're trying to publish directly to your Enterprise server, you only have the option to publish as Feature or Map Image. According to the documentation (Introduction to sharing web layers—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 😞 "When sharing a feature layer to ArcGIS Enterprise with the Reference registered data data option, it's shared as a dependent layer to a map image layer." That last link covers the difference between hosted (copied) and server-based (referenced) publishing. Prior to this, I mostly had experience with hosted layers on AGOL, but it's a totally different story using Enterprise and Portal technologies.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
JacobHelfman1
New Contributor III

According to step 6 under the "Define a map in ArcGIS Pro and publish as a vector tile layer" section of the documentation(Publish hosted vector tile layers—Portal for ArcGIS | ArcGIS Enterprise ), you should have the option to set the layer type to Vector Tile if you are copying the data. However, since you're trying to publish directly to your Enterprise server, you only have the option to publish as Feature or Map Image. According to the documentation (Introduction to sharing web layers—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 😞 "When sharing a feature layer to ArcGIS Enterprise with the Reference registered data data option, it's shared as a dependent layer to a map image layer." That last link covers the difference between hosted (copied) and server-based (referenced) publishing. Prior to this, I mostly had experience with hosted layers on AGOL, but it's a totally different story using Enterprise and Portal technologies.

HaskettGeorge
New Contributor III

Thanks, seems like there should be some added information for that step or having the copy all data option automatically turn on when the Vector Tiles option is selected.  I read through that a handful of times and it didn't sink in.  I have to say I really miss the way the help docs were written up for the Flex viewer app.  Wish they followed the same style. Thanks again.