Utility Network Question, Tiers vs Subnetworks

09-26-2021 03:28 PM
James_Armstrong
Occasional Contributor

I am working to learn and understand the Utility Network.  Its complicated, but I do seem to be making some progress here and there. My current issue is getting my head wrapped around Tiers vs Subnetworks. Is it correct to think of Tiers (and Tier Groups)  organized vertically while Subnetworks are organized horizontally?

My organization has been tasked with combining three or more small water and sewer systems (from small local government jurisdictions). Currently they are separately managed and operated by each respective jurisdiction, but the plan is to turn over management and operation (and perhaps ownership) to a single "regional authority".

So, should / could there be one domain network set up for the regional system and each jurisdiction be set up as it own subnetwork (named for the particular jurisdiction)?  If there is a need for multi subnetworks within a given jurisdiction, then each would be named uniquely using the name of the jurisdiction.

Am I thinking about the above scenario correctly?  Please feel free to make suggestions or provide advice to set this utility network differently.  Actually any suggestion or advice would be welcomed.

James

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
VickyWang
Esri Contributor

Glad I can provide help
If you can click on kudos for the replies that you think it's helpful and might help others. or if you think any will be the solution for your post might click it as well. It will make the post useful and notice by other they are facing the same issue : )

For the geoprocessing tool which is unable to open, suggest chat to ESRI tech support to resolve the issue. From memory I am able to install untools in 2.8.3 Pro once. but since i have no this version to re-test, will leave that for you to find out. 

~Vicky Wang~