Select to view content in your preferred language

Utility Network Diagram Tracing with Valid Terminal Paths

Jump to solution
3 weeks ago
VanCityUtility
New Contributor II

Hi there, 

I'm trying to create a general diagram template using a trace rule, but I am receiving an error message:

Error 001890: Invalid subnetwork connectivity, multiple subnetwork controllers with different subnetwork names found.

My test area does contain two subnetwork controllers, but there is a directional bypass terminal-configured switch device located in between the two subnetworks, with a valid path set that blocks connectivity to the other subnetwork controller.

When I run a downstream trace on one subnetwork controller, it properly honors the terminal path and does not extend past it.  But when I set the trace rule up the same way, it doesn't seem to take the assigned terminal path into account.  Why do these two trace tools operate differently?  And if this is intended, how do I configure the diagram's 'add trace rule' tool to get past the error and only show features through valid terminal paths?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AnneYvonneBlin
Esri Contributor

Hi @VanCityUtility 

When you run a downstream trace on one subnetwork controller, it properly honors the terminal path and does not extend past it because it considers the starting point/terminal you set up in your network map. When generating a diagram using a Trace rule, the specified Trace rule doesn't care about any starting point you may have set up in your network map. It only considers the network element(s) you selected in your network map to start tracing. If the diagram template is not configured to focus on any specific starting point among the input network element(s), it is going to start a trace from each of the input. Also, if there are terminals on one or more of them, it is going to try to trace from each terminal. Then, it raises an error if it detects incompatibility with the specified trace rule parameters and the "starting points" from which it tries tracing . To make your trace rule starts from the only input network element(s)/terminal(s) you expect and properly applies at diagram creation, you have to use the Add Set Starting Point By Attribute Rule prior to your Trace rule when configuring your custom template. Thanks to such a rule, you will make the Trace rule focus on the only network elements/terminals from which it can start tracing.

For example, before you set up a Trace rule to run a Subnetwork trace on a particular tier name, you may have to configure Set Starting Point rules on your custom diagram template to make this Trace rule knows about the various kind of devices it can consider as starting points for this subnetwork.

SetStartingPointRulesPriorToTraceRule.png

In the example above, I set up 3 Set Starting Point rules to tell the Trace rule set up just after in the model that it can consider 3 kind of devices as starting points to trace:

• the CBD:Line Side terminal (41) on any Medium Voltage Circuit Breaker (ASSETGROUP=26) belonging to the Electric Distribution Tier (TIERNAME=5) that is a subnetwork controller (ISSUBNETWORKCONTROLLER=1)
  • the 2wXFR:Secondary (8) on any High Voltage Transformer (ASSETGROUP=11) belonging to the Electric Distribution Tier (TIERNAME=5) that is a subnetwork controller (ISSUBNETWORKCONTROLLER=1)
  • the 2wXFR:Primary/Upstream (7) on any 38 - Medium Voltage Transformer (ASSETGROUP=38) belonging to the Electric Distribution Tier (TIERNAME=5) that is a subnetwork controller (ISSUBNETWORKCONTROLLER=1)

Then to generate diagrams showing subnetwork trace(s) based on this template, users will only have to select one or multiple subnetwork controller devices in the network map that are related to the Electric Distribution tier, and pick up your custom diagram template in the template list.

To learn more about diagram template configuration and diagram build process, please visit the following links:

Help system:

Video:

Network Diagram Build Process Demo

Hopping this helps

Anne-Yvonne

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AnneYvonneBlin
Esri Contributor

Hi @VanCityUtility 

When you run a downstream trace on one subnetwork controller, it properly honors the terminal path and does not extend past it because it considers the starting point/terminal you set up in your network map. When generating a diagram using a Trace rule, the specified Trace rule doesn't care about any starting point you may have set up in your network map. It only considers the network element(s) you selected in your network map to start tracing. If the diagram template is not configured to focus on any specific starting point among the input network element(s), it is going to start a trace from each of the input. Also, if there are terminals on one or more of them, it is going to try to trace from each terminal. Then, it raises an error if it detects incompatibility with the specified trace rule parameters and the "starting points" from which it tries tracing . To make your trace rule starts from the only input network element(s)/terminal(s) you expect and properly applies at diagram creation, you have to use the Add Set Starting Point By Attribute Rule prior to your Trace rule when configuring your custom template. Thanks to such a rule, you will make the Trace rule focus on the only network elements/terminals from which it can start tracing.

For example, before you set up a Trace rule to run a Subnetwork trace on a particular tier name, you may have to configure Set Starting Point rules on your custom diagram template to make this Trace rule knows about the various kind of devices it can consider as starting points for this subnetwork.

SetStartingPointRulesPriorToTraceRule.png

In the example above, I set up 3 Set Starting Point rules to tell the Trace rule set up just after in the model that it can consider 3 kind of devices as starting points to trace:

• the CBD:Line Side terminal (41) on any Medium Voltage Circuit Breaker (ASSETGROUP=26) belonging to the Electric Distribution Tier (TIERNAME=5) that is a subnetwork controller (ISSUBNETWORKCONTROLLER=1)
  • the 2wXFR:Secondary (8) on any High Voltage Transformer (ASSETGROUP=11) belonging to the Electric Distribution Tier (TIERNAME=5) that is a subnetwork controller (ISSUBNETWORKCONTROLLER=1)
  • the 2wXFR:Primary/Upstream (7) on any 38 - Medium Voltage Transformer (ASSETGROUP=38) belonging to the Electric Distribution Tier (TIERNAME=5) that is a subnetwork controller (ISSUBNETWORKCONTROLLER=1)

Then to generate diagrams showing subnetwork trace(s) based on this template, users will only have to select one or multiple subnetwork controller devices in the network map that are related to the Electric Distribution tier, and pick up your custom diagram template in the template list.

To learn more about diagram template configuration and diagram build process, please visit the following links:

Help system:

Video:

Network Diagram Build Process Demo

Hopping this helps

Anne-Yvonne

0 Kudos
VanCityUtility
New Contributor II

Good morning, AnnYvonneBlin, 

Thank you so very much for the detailed response and especially for the references.  I hadn't considered stringing multiple set starting point tools together to accommodate different scenarios.  I will apply this approach and see if it solves my terminal issue.

Thanks again,

VanCityUtility

0 Kudos
VanCityUtility
New Contributor II

Hello again, I'm trying to allow a trace from transformers and switching devices but they aren't subnetwork controllers.  Is this a requirement?  I'm having no luck creating a downstream trace from anything other than a breaker.  Thanks!

Edit:  I realize now that the downstream trace rule I've configured does expect subnetwork controllers.  I will try to rework that as well.  

0 Kudos
AnneYvonneBlin
Esri Contributor

@VanCityUtility No, this is not a requirement. You can start tracing from what you want. The only requirement is to properly configure terminal when they exist for the "starting points" you use to start tracing.

Any chance you can share your data with me?

0 Kudos
VanCityUtility
New Contributor II

Hi @AnneYvonneBlin, I don't think I'll be able to send data as I've got a lot of steps involved that may affect the outcome.  I think the root of my issue lies in the network properties - I need to make some changes to include different categories.

I've marked your response as a solution because I do believe it would work if I get everything configured properly.  Thanks very much for your time.