Using the Explorer tool to get coordinates?

04-16-2017 11:31 AM
CoreySimmons1
New Contributor

I have used the identify tool in ArcMap for years, to identify and obtain coordinates within my view extent.  I have previously transitioned over to the newest version of ArcPro and the main issue I am running into, is getting coordinates with the Explorer (previously the identify tool) tool.   There is a clumsy right click and pan through three menus to find a coordinate but what makes ArcMap so functional is the ability to identify a specific coordinate immediately without having to shuffle through menus.  I have exhausted an inordinate amount of time trying to mitigate this issue, to no avail.  Any and all help would be very much appreciated.

If there is no other way, that might be something for Esri to potentially look into. In my humble opinion.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
MervynLotter
Occasional Contributor III

I had the same problem as I also frequently use the identify tool to extract coordinates from the map view.  I posted a similar question a few months ago (https://community.esri.com/thread/174549 ) and Joshua Bixby kindly responded with a Pro add-on that works really well. It still works in Pro 1.4.1.

Joshua wrote: 

Check out the Coordinate Conversion Addin (.NET).  It is put out by one of the Esri teams on GitHub.  It has a version for ArcMap and ArcGIS Pro.  It doesn't integrate into the Explore tool like you would like, but it does provide a quick way to get coordinates of screen cursors/locations and even have them in multiple formats.

0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

Don't forget to upvote https://community.esri.com/ideas/10859 

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Currently you can right-click > Copy Coordinates

Further improvements/options will be in upcoming releases.

BugPie
by

Hi Kory/ESRI - Any idea if this will be improved soon? This is driving us crazy. Like was mentioned in this post we were previously ID'ing a point in arcmap and then getting the UTM, Decimal and DMS values for that point which we could then copy and paste into another doc or layout. This was such a GREAT way to quickly convert or translate coordiante systems. 

Using the Get Coordinates only gives you the location of the mouse click, not the feature you are actually trying to ID. I'd hate to have to zoom in to 1:1 each time to get the coordinates.  

Help! 

Thanks - 

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

ArcGIS Pro 2.2 (coming next week) has some major improvements to identify workflows, including providing feature coordinates in the pop-up.  

BugPie
by

YES EXACTLY!!! That's the good stuff right there. Thanks for the interactive response Kory. 

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

OH YEAH!!!

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Kory Kramer - so we'll just see an 'updates available' message upon firing up ArcGIS PRO?

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

If you have that enabled

0 Kudos