Using custom styles in ArcGIS Pro

Jump to solution
09-19-2019 01:09 PM
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Hello,

I have imported two custom styles into an ArcGIS Pro project, and I see that they are both saved in the Styles folder for the project. However, when I click on a point symbol in the contents pane to change the symbology, I only see options for one of the custom styles, even though I have it selected to search Project Styles (rather than All Styles).

I am still getting used to the Pro interface, so I'm wondering what I need to do to see all of the styles that are in the Styles project folder appear in the symbology pane.

Thanks in advance!

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

So, after talking with Margaret Maher‌ at Esri support, we determined that the file was somehow corrupted. We were able to repair the style file by opening in in Microsoft Access. By doing this, it was detected that there were inconsistencies in the file, and it repaired it. As far as we can tell, nothing is missing from the newly restored style file, and it is appearing in both ArcMap and ArcGIS Pro without issues. If this issue occurs again, it was recommended that analysts within our organization copy the style file locally to their machine and access it that way, since simultaneous access to the file was thought to be a possible cause of the corruption.

Thanks for the help! 

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek

View solution in original post

6 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Katherine,

What you have described about the setup suggests that they should be showing up. When I set up custom styles they are configured in the same manner as you have described.

A few questions come to mind to see if it can be narrowed down further:

• What version of Pro?
  • At any point did you see a warning about invalid or unsupported style?
  • I am wondering about the type of symbols/items and what style item class they fit into. As in, are they just point symbols?
  • Have you tried importing the one style that is not showing into a test project with points to see if it shows up?

Thanks in advance.

Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Thanks for your response, Aaron!

• I am using Pro version 2.4.1
  • I have not seen any errors about incompatible styles
  • The style contains point, line and polygon symbology

As for the last question, I noticed that the style was not pulling in to ArcMap as well. I notified the colleague who made the style, and he copied some new information into the STYLE file and then it showed up in ArcMap.

However, after he did that, I received this error message when trying to open in Pro: 

Neither of us could understand why it would be locked, but we both restarted our computers just in case. However, I still receive that error message when trying to import. 

Best,
Katie

- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks Katherine. I felt like I forgot to ask something and I did but you answered it, which was the location of the style. It does look like there are read issues. It appears that the Y drive a mapped network drive, is this correct? If it is, are you able to copy the style file to a local drive or folder and import it to see if it succeeds?

0 Kudos
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Yes, it's a shared drive for our office. I copied the style to my desktop and tried importing from there and got the same error, unfortunately. 

Best,
Katie

- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks Katherine for trying that. I sent you a direct message about having a closer look at the style file.

0 Kudos
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

So, after talking with Margaret Maher‌ at Esri support, we determined that the file was somehow corrupted. We were able to repair the style file by opening in in Microsoft Access. By doing this, it was detected that there were inconsistencies in the file, and it repaired it. As far as we can tell, nothing is missing from the newly restored style file, and it is appearing in both ArcMap and ArcGIS Pro without issues. If this issue occurs again, it was recommended that analysts within our organization copy the style file locally to their machine and access it that way, since simultaneous access to the file was thought to be a possible cause of the corruption.

Thanks for the help! 

Best,
Katie

- Simon Sinek