'Use field alias as column header' in Table to Excel not working

06-08-2022 01:46 PM
Labels (1)
wayfaringrob
Frequent Contributor

I've got a .gdb feature class that I'd like to export to Excel with aliases as column headers. There seems to be an option for this, but checking the box doesn't deliver. I'm also noticing that the fields are in a scrambled order in the .xlsx, which probably has to do with the way they are in the .gdb. But for the field aliases not coming along, am I missing something?

rburkebsrc_0-1654721100322.png

0 Kudos
6 Replies
wayfaringrob
Frequent Contributor

'Transfer field domain descriptions' and 'transfer geodatabase field properties' are also not functioning. I'm getting the same table with the real field names and no domain descriptions no matter what I check.

0 Kudos
wayfaringrob
Frequent Contributor

I found a tip to export to a 'table view' and put that in table-to-excel which helped pass through the domain descriptions, but it destroyed the field aliases.

0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor

Not sure about Pro, but in ArcMap there were issues with this at one time.  It would only honor the alias's and domain descriptions IF the feature class was in the default database.  Any other location (FGDB, SDE) would report results like you are seeing.

R_

0 Kudos
wayfaringrob
Frequent Contributor

That would check out, these are in a different .gdb than the project .gdb. Thanks for the tip.

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

One workflow I've seen is as follows:

1.  Open the attribute table of the feature class in question.
2.  Make sure the column header of the attribute table shows the alias names.
3.  In the Table tab, export the to standalone table using Export Table.
4.  In the tool, select the open attribute table as the Input Rows.
5.  Specify the location for the Output Table (make sure it's located in the GDB)
6.  Click Run.
7.  The exported table is added to the Contents Pane as a new standalone table.
8.  Search for the Table to Excel GP tool.
9.  Select the new standalone table as the Input Table in the GP tool.
10.  Check the box "Use field alias as column header"
11.  Click Run and a new Excel file is created.
12.  Open the Excel table and the field alias's "should" be being used as the column names.

Good luck!

0 Kudos
wayfaringrob
Frequent Contributor

I'll try it out, thanks!

0 Kudos