Updating source location for layers derived from .csv

Jump to solution
02-05-2021 12:46 PM
Labels (1)
LaurenVictoriaPratt
New Contributor

(Beginner level). Awhile back, I map a few simple maps, including some layers (mostly point data) derived from various .csv tables. Since then, I've moved the folder containing those .csv's, so all the data source paths broke. I'm able to update the paths for the stand-alone tables, but the layers derived from those tables are still broken. When I click on the red exclamation marks to select a new path, the window only searches for certain file types (e.g, "Point and Multipoint Feature Classes (all types)") and doesn't show the .csv's. 

How can I update the source data for those layers?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Lauren!  Thank you for your question.

When you convert something like a CSV with latitude and longitude fields to a point feature class with geometry (for example through the "XY Table to Point" geoprocessing tool: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/tool-reference/data-management/xy-table-to-point.htm) what's happening is that it generates a new output feature class with geometry. This feature class isn't related to or reliant on the original source csv after it has been created, it is its own separate dataset.

I think in this instance the easiest solution would be to re-generate the feature classes using your CSVs as an input.

I hope this helps, please let me know if you have any issues.

Alex 

View solution in original post

1 Reply
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Lauren!  Thank you for your question.

When you convert something like a CSV with latitude and longitude fields to a point feature class with geometry (for example through the "XY Table to Point" geoprocessing tool: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/tool-reference/data-management/xy-table-to-point.htm) what's happening is that it generates a new output feature class with geometry. This feature class isn't related to or reliant on the original source csv after it has been created, it is its own separate dataset.

I think in this instance the easiest solution would be to re-generate the feature classes using your CSVs as an input.

I hope this helps, please let me know if you have any issues.

Alex