Update x,y points after adding new data to existing feature class. ArcGIS Pro 2.8

Jump to solution
09-03-2021 02:06 AM
MarcusNielsen
New Contributor II

Hello

I have added some new data to an existing point layer i have hosted online. I used the append tool to add the new data, this includes x and y coordinates.

All the data shows up fine in the attribute table. But there are no new points generated. 

Is there a way to update the feature class to include the new x, y coordinates. So they appear on the map?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Append (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation appends featureclasses

you will need to use the coordinates in your table to make a featureclass first like

XY Table To Point (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

... sort of retired...

View solution in original post

David_Brooks
MVP Regular Contributor

@MarcusNielsen , yes you can either use XY Table To Point (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation or create an Event Layer and append that. XY Table to Point is the better route.

David
..Maps with no limits..

View solution in original post

5 Replies
David_Brooks
MVP Regular Contributor

@MarcusNielsen , coordinates in an attribute table don't necessarily mean you'll get point geometry in your feature class. Have you accidentally just appended a table to a feature class? If so, you get additional rows in your attirbute table with no actual geometry assigned.

What was it you appended to the target point layer? A point feature class from a file geodatabase? A shapefile? etc

David
..Maps with no limits..
0 Kudos
MarcusNielsen
New Contributor II

Thanks for the reply. 

Yes i have an seperate table with the new data. I just appended this to the target point layer.

So do i need to make the table into a feature class first?

0 Kudos
David_Brooks
MVP Regular Contributor

@MarcusNielsen , yes you can either use XY Table To Point (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation or create an Event Layer and append that. XY Table to Point is the better route.

David
..Maps with no limits..
MarcusNielsen
New Contributor II

Thank you very much for your help. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Append (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation appends featureclasses

you will need to use the coordinates in your table to make a featureclass first like

XY Table To Point (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

... sort of retired...