Select to view content in your preferred language

Unusual labelling behaviour in ArcGIS Pro that seems to be related to output resolution

Jump to solution
11-05-2015 12:19 PM
MervynLotter
Frequent Contributor

I just want to share with you some unusual labelling behaviour in ArcGIS Pro. I dont think it is anything that I am doing wrong, but perhaps someone may know the reasons why this is happening or have suggestions for a better work-around? I am hoping this issue may be rectified in future releases as it is really complicating my current workflow.

I have a large A0 map (46 x 33 inches) with a lot of cadastral data that I label. There are probably around 900 features that are labelled on the map. In the map I include a layer of our local municipalities as large single-part polygons. I only want to display one label per municipality and the map output needs to be in TIFF.

Under label class properties I have changed the default settings to Remove duplicate labels as well as ticked Label largest part.

When exporting low resolution (100 dpi) maps, the output map is created correctly and I only have one label per municipality. But when exporting as a high-resolution map (300dpi), the labels for each of the 7 municipalities is repeated several times no matter what setting I use. Therefore the adherence to label settings seems to be resolution dependent for tiff and JPEG images in maps with many features labelled. This problem is not repeated for PDF and I find the PDF map outputs great (but not what I need).

The one work-around I have thought of is to create points and label these, but I have not yet tried this. Other ideas?

0 Kudos
23 Replies
KateNewell1
Frequent Contributor

I am having same issue.  Using Arc Pro 2.1.3

0 Kudos
KarenLeu1
Emerging Contributor

I am having the same issue with labels duplicating when I export to jpg, and I am only exporting at 96 DPI. The layout size of my map is large, if that makes a difference, at 4' x 9'. 

0 Kudos
SaidDouai1
Occasional Contributor

Still having the same problem with Arc GIS Pro 2.3 

0 Kudos
SaidDouai1
Occasional Contributor

I had the same problem before some of my symbols were not showing in the PDF. My problem was that when I export to PDF the Embed fonts was checked but when I unchecked it everything works fine.

I hope this will help.

Said

0 Kudos