Select to view content in your preferred language

UNC Paths in Pro

Jump to solution
07-22-2022 07:57 AM
Labels (1)
DHighness
New Contributor III

I do a lot of publishing to ArcGIS Server and need all my document paths to be UNC paths. My problem is that Pro seems to be much less amenable to UNC paths than Desktop was. I am trying to import MXD into Pro and the UNC paths in Desktop are being automatically converted to drive letter. In order to publish with registered data I need the paths to be UNC. How can I keep this from happening?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DHighness
New Contributor III

I also figured out that the Arcpy.mp document function updateConnectionProperties function works well for replacing the drive letter with it's UNC equivalent. Now I just work in drive letter and then run a Python tool to replace the drive letter with UNC path.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DHighness
New Contributor III

I did just figure out that if I unregister the drive letter in my Windows desktop that it will bring in the layers with UNC paths intact from the MXD. It kinda stinks that I have to do that but maybe that is what I have to do.

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for pointing this out as this might impact the publication of image services when I migrate that workflow to Pro.

0 Kudos
DHighness
New Contributor III

I also figured out that the Arcpy.mp document function updateConnectionProperties function works well for replacing the drive letter with it's UNC equivalent. Now I just work in drive letter and then run a Python tool to replace the drive letter with UNC path.

JulieZamudio
New Contributor II

Can you share your code please? I've been trying to convert my old ArcMap code and it's not working. I'm also going form letter drives to UNC and I'm wondering if that is the issue. 

Thank you!

0 Kudos