Select to view content in your preferred language

Unable to set map frame scale for bookmark map series

Jump to solution
03-03-2023 08:31 AM
Labels (1)
NicholasStanek
New Contributor

Hi!

I've run into a problem with my bookmark map series. I'm using a map series to map about 45 different parcels of land owned by about 15 different land owners.
I started with a spatial map series, but I don't need a map for every single tract, just one for every set of tracts owned by a landowner. Also I wanted the map frame to center on a group of tracts, not one individual tract. So I made a bookmark for each landowner by zooming to the selected features and then rounding the map scale up to the next 1,000, and then I used those bookmarks for the new map series. 

The problem I am having is that the scale of the map frame doesn't match the scale of the bookmarks, and if I try to change the scale it just switches right back to where it was. For example, for one of my larger tract groups, everything fits neatly into 1:40,000, which is where I have the bookmark set, but the map frame is stuck at 1:65,000 (rounded to 1,000). At that scale, this layout includes the neighbor's property, which is misleading. Worse, it makes the layout look ugly. 

Any help here would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AubriKinghorn
Esri Regular Contributor

Since bookmarks are often created in the map view which has a different size than the map frame on the layout it can be tricky to get them to match exactly. Pro does its best to fit the bookmark extent into the (often smaller) map frame extent, but it doesn't always work perfectly.

Fortunately, there is a solution!! You can update the bookmarks in the map frame view so they show exactly what you want.

1. Select your map frame in the layout
  2. On the layout tab of the ribbon hit the Bookmarks dropdown and choose Manage Bookmarks from the very bottom to open the Bookmarks Pane
  3. AubriKinghorn_0-1677865418965.png

4. In the Bookmarks pane you can see all the bookmarks, select the one that matches the page you are currently looking at and wish to update.
  5. Activate your map frame
  6. Zoom and pane until you get the extent you want on the page
  7. On the Bookmarks pane, for the bookmark you selected click the update button. 
  8. AubriKinghorn_1-1677865580113.png

9. Now your bookmark should be updated to the extent shown in your map frame and give you exactly what you want. 

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Aubri

View solution in original post

6 Replies
AubriKinghorn
Esri Regular Contributor

Since bookmarks are often created in the map view which has a different size than the map frame on the layout it can be tricky to get them to match exactly. Pro does its best to fit the bookmark extent into the (often smaller) map frame extent, but it doesn't always work perfectly.

Fortunately, there is a solution!! You can update the bookmarks in the map frame view so they show exactly what you want.

1. Select your map frame in the layout
  2. On the layout tab of the ribbon hit the Bookmarks dropdown and choose Manage Bookmarks from the very bottom to open the Bookmarks Pane
  3. AubriKinghorn_0-1677865418965.png

4. In the Bookmarks pane you can see all the bookmarks, select the one that matches the page you are currently looking at and wish to update.
  5. Activate your map frame
  6. Zoom and pane until you get the extent you want on the page
  7. On the Bookmarks pane, for the bookmark you selected click the update button. 
  8. AubriKinghorn_1-1677865580113.png

9. Now your bookmark should be updated to the extent shown in your map frame and give you exactly what you want. 

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Aubri
erKay_nv5
New Contributor III

How do I prevent it from rounding up? I need maps at 1:24000 exactly. The Bookmark Map series insists on a minimum round up for the scale of at least 1, so all my maps are coming out at 1:24001. I've tried other numbers, all punch the scale up past 1:24000

alfrenjeru
New Contributor II

I am waiting for the answer to this too. I too have the same problem.

0 Kudos
alfrenjeru
New Contributor II

I have 2 Bookmarks. One with scale 500 and the second with 1400. I have followed the procedure to update the bookmarks extent. But when I refresh the map series, when the map extent round up scale is set to 100, they all end up with scales 600 and 1500. So I have zoomed in the bookmarks to 400 and 1300. After refreshing the map series, the result is scales of 500 and 1400. This is what I want but it is not the best way to do it. 

Let Esri make it possible to round of the map extent scale to zero. This will prevent the scale of bookmarks changing after refreshing the map series. 

0 Kudos
JeremyFoin
New Contributor

I followed the instructions up to the point where the update button should be clicked in the bookmark manager. However, there is no update button there - just zoom to, pan to, and delete. Do you have any idea where the update button has gone?

0 Kudos
NicholasStanek
New Contributor

Oh, awesome! That's exactly what I needed, thank you very much!

0 Kudos