Tutorial / guide for using Landsat 8 Views in ArcMap?

11-29-2018 10:58 AM
KatyAppleton1
Occasional Contributor II

I'm using Landsat 8 Views for the first time, in ArcMap 10.6.1. https://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=4ca13f0e4e29403fa68c46d188c4be73 

I understand it's an archive of data but I cannot work out how to view imagery from different dates (I have managed to access the various band combinations but can't see controls for date). I'm hoping there must be a user guide or tutorial or similar, but despite much searching I cannot find one.

What I am hoping to be able to do eventually is get students to use the data for a simple supervised or unsupervised classification over a small area, so as to compare and quantify changes (as far as possible) for two dates. Is this possible?

We have org accounts for Online, and I am signed in while trying to work with the imagery.

Edit: I found this over on Stack Exchange: arcgis desktop - Landsat8 View Imagery Service in ArcMap Layer Time Issue - Geographic Information S... 

So following that I have enabled Time on the layer and set up the time slider so I can step through looking for different imagery dates, but it's kind of frustrating and slow. Any suggestions - is there another way I can do this?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
0 Kudos
CodyBenkelman
Esri Regular Contributor

(Thanks to Katie Cullen)

Katy

Answer to your last question is Yes. See this implementation of our Web AppBuilder

Landsat Explorer  

The "Time Selector" tool allows you to quickly select images by date (either on a timeline or switch it to a date pulldown).  You can also choose one date to put into the "lower" layer and compare two dates.  You can also highlight areas of change between two dates.  

See the 'mortarboard' icon in the lower left for a tutorial.

As for your original question, I don't know if we have a tutorial for the Landsat services in ArcGIS Desktop -  We would encourage you to use ArcGIS Pro.   If still needed, please let me know - but try the web app.

Cody B

KatyAppleton1

Thanks Cody. I would love to use Pro but as yet we are wary of moving our taught classes over as we are not convinced that the hardware in our computer labs is universally capable of running it well. So I am stuck with Desktop for now.

Landsat Explorer is pretty cool, and I had not seen it before - I wish there were a similar date pulldown when viewing the service in Desktop. I will investigate the web app further. Thanks for the link.

Katy

0 Kudos
KatyAppleton1

Cody Benkelman Where could I address comments about the web app? It's very neat, but I have noticed that the description of the Short-Wave Infrared renderer is wrong (it duplicates Color Infrared and refers to vegetation as being in shades of red, which it is not). Also the description of the Geology renderer is minimal and it would be helpful to at least give the band combination. 

0 Kudos
CodyBenkelman
Esri Regular Contributor

Katy

Thanks for the feedback!  Our first task will be to add a feedback link to the app.  Until then, please send any comments to ImageManagementWorkflows@esri.com.  

Cody B