Trying to make a task to copy and paste a feature

Jump to solution
11-19-2015 12:01 PM
SeanSummers_CC
New Contributor III

I am trying to make some tasks in the Task Designer. One step I can't seem to get past is I need to copy a selected point feature (GPSstructure) and copy it to another point feature dataset (an archive named GPSdone).  In Desktop I normally would just select the feature then right-click "Copy" and right-click "Paste". The menu would ask me which feature dataset to paste into and I was done.  I was trying to automate this with tasks but I keep getting an "Error: Cannot run command assigned to the step.  It is not enabled."  I have tried various versions of copy and paste with no success.  I used the record steps function and that appeared to record the steps (which did work manually) but did not work when the task was run.  Any ideas?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JasonCamerano
Esri Contributor

Great question.

Currently we are looking into a solution for this problem as the Task Pane takes focus away from the active view causing issues with Copy and Paste. At the moment the only work around is to instruct the user to manually right click + copy and right click + paste.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
JasonCamerano
Esri Contributor

Great question.

Currently we are looking into a solution for this problem as the Task Pane takes focus away from the active view causing issues with Copy and Paste. At the moment the only work around is to instruct the user to manually right click + copy and right click + paste.

Fidelity_NationalTitle
New Contributor III

I believe I am having a similar problem. Using a command step to view layer properties. Any updates? I just installed the patch for 2.0

0 Kudos
deleted-user-LOEg2Meh26s6
New Contributor II

Are there any updates to this feature? I am having the same problem. 

StefKoroblitsas
New Contributor II

Yeah i am also having this problem.

Fidelity_NationalTitle
New Contributor III

I believe I am having a similar problem. Using a command step to view layer properties. 

0 Kudos
CyrusBlankinship1
New Contributor III

I am also getting this error in 2.2. All the step is trying to do is 'refresh' a table, but it's part of a lengthy task

0 Kudos
AmirBar-Maor
Esri Regular Contributor

The Copy and Paste commands in ArcGIS Pro are contextual. That means that if you Copy features the map must be in focus (highlighted) when you Paste them. The issue is that the focus returns to the Tasks pane when you press Run or Next.

But...

There is an easy workaround: use the geoprocessing tool Append (Data Management) to append the selected features into the target feature class. You might want to add a verification action to make sure there is a valid selection (more than one feature but less than X) - this way you will not append all the features if the selection is empty.

AndrewRoss1
New Contributor

I never used tasks before, until a client recently mentioned/requested it. Literally 10 minutes after starting one I run into this issue.  Can't the contextual nature of the copy and paste commands in ArcGIS Pro be improved somehow?  In 6 years?  I guess if no one is asking for this anymore they're either content to hobble along or using different tools.  So sad for such a great concept