Trying to fix different projection error w/ "Esri 2020 Land Cover" layer

01-27-2022 05:24 AM
JohnSasso
New Contributor II

In ArcGIS Pro where I am using the standard, out-of-the-box "World Imagery" basemap, I am using the "Esri 2020 Land Cover" layer from Living Atlas (and quite a few others as well).  When running Analyze to share my map, I get the error:

"Service layer has a different projection than the map's projection"

and "Esri 2020 Land Cover" is noted.  The PCS of my basemap is WGS 1984 Web Mercator (Auxiliary sphere). I know the above error indicates that the cache service layer ("Esri 2020 Land Cover") has a different projection than the map being shared, and the doc for "Esri 2020 Land Cover" says the data projection used is UTM.

How can I go about correction this issue w/ "Esri 2020 Land Cover"?  I do not want to change to PCS of all my other layers and the basemap just to fix the issue w/ this one layer.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Are you sharing it as a web map? In that case, could you remove the "Esri 2020 Land Cover" layer and share as web map.

Then, open the webmap in a browser (Map Viewer), and add the "Esri 2020 Land Cover" from Living Atlas, and save the webmap.

Let me know if there is any concern in the above workflow.

Think Location
0 Kudos
JohnSasso2
Occasional Contributor

Yes, I am trying to share the entire map which includes "Esri 2020 Land Cover" as a web map.  My problem with the proposed solution is that I would have to remove-and-re-add said layer every time I make changes to the map in Pro.  I have made changes to the layer in terms of configuring pop-ups and labels which I would have to re-do every time.   Is there another workable solution?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

if this is the data

Esri 2020 Land Cover  Esri 2020 Land Cover - Overview (arcgis.com)

then have a look at the properties since the original data were in UTM, but the mosaic isn't

Variable mapped: 2020 land use/land cover
Data Projection: Universal Transverse Mercator (UTM)
Mosaic Projection: WGS84
Extent: Global
Source imagery: Sentinel-2
Cell Size: 10m (0.00008983152098239751 degrees)
Type: Thematic
Source: Esri Inc.
Publication date: July 2021

see if the properties in a new map are showing the units in meters or in decimal degrees

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
JohnSasso2
Occasional Contributor

That is exactly the layer I am using, noting the publication date.  
Looking at the properties of Esri 2020 Land Cover in Pro, the Source tab shows:

Extent values are in degrees
In Spatial Reference, the GCS is WGS 1984 w/ Angular Unit = Degree, Datum = D WGS 1984

0 Kudos
JohnSasso2
Occasional Contributor

FYI - I created a new project in ArcGIS Pro.   For the base layer I selected the stock World Imagery.  Then added the Esri 2020 Land Cover layer straight from Living Atlas.  Analyze still produces the same error.  

0 Kudos