Select to view content in your preferred language

time to package an ArcGIS Pro project

03-01-2024 10:45 AM
PaulCone2
Occasional Contributor III

I have a Pro project document that I am using to do some data processing using a notebook script and one map with references to file geodatabases, a bit of SDE and some feature services, including imagery.  When I first packaged it up it took about 5 hours (though for some reason it is not counting correctly, because it somehow is missing the gathering part that seems to take forever).  That was long but not unbearable, though I expected a larger file than 94.584 MB.  

PaulCone2_0-1709318566712.png

Then I went over to another project that was less complex and it took minutes not hours to create the package.  This one also has a lot of varied sources and about 30 maps.

Then I went back to the first one a week later, and Project Package took about 12 hours.

So, in general terms, what is it doing for the gathering, what optimization can be done to get through it faster?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

don't package history

locally stored data will take less time to package

packaging just for yourself will take less time

What conditions are your two packages subjected to?

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
PaulCone2

Thank you @DanPatterson.  I can drop the History but bringing in all the data local isn't worth the effort and adds confusion, and also others are outside my org.  What do you mean by conditions?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You answered the conditions partially.   Non-local data, (sde web-stuff etc) is going to add to the packaging time.  Did the both have the same number of layouts? maps? tables, open tables etc.  toolboxes

Package a stripped down version of your projects.  In fact there is rarely a need to have a huge project to begin with since each project could be broken down to some degree based on use/functionality.  Saves the headache of losing everything because it was in one project or package.

Good luck

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
PaulCone2

Wait, are you suggesting my project file might get corrupted?  🙂  Otherwise, why would I want to worry about losing everything?

What is a huge project?

0 Kudos
PaulCone2

I dropped just the History and it took about 5 minutes.  I would not have expected that from a log.  Is it storing undo ability or something?

0 Kudos