Time-Series Labels

04-07-2023 08:33 AM
coolflippers
New Contributor III

Good day,

Back in ArcMap, one could create a 2D (top-down view of some particular area of the world) time-series. Some of that is similar in Pro. However, I can't quite jig the labels to work in Pro like they did in Map. I have a time-series of a wildfire. Each frame represents another area that the fire has burned. I'd like each frame to have the date associated with that frame's record pop up, frame by frame, such that only that particular date is a labeled in the frame. However, when I turn labels on, each frame shows the current label and all subsequent labels. The was a selection in ArcMap that I can't seem to locate in Pro.

My basic steps thus far: Convert Time Field, enable Time, go to Time in the ribbon and create the time-series, add Animation, get everything ready for export! Except those labels would be key...

0 Kudos
1 Reply
JesseWickizer
Esri Contributor

From the picture it looks like you want all the fires that have happened up to the current time point to draw, but only the fires from the current time point to label. In order to do that, I'd create 2 layers in the map - one for the current fires that will be labeled, and another for past fires that will not have a label.

Current fires layer: Configure the Time settings on the layer to use the date field or fields to draw the fire only when it is active. This layer will be labeled so labels are only drawing when the fire is active. This can be configured to draw based either on a single date field or a start date and end date fields, depending on how the fire data has been recorded.

Besides limiting the labeling to the current layer, this also allows you to draw the current fires in a different style than the past fires to emphasize the current fires in each frame. 

Past Fires layer: In order to draw the fires that have occurred up to the current time point without labels, the past fires layer will have time settings configured with both Start Time and End Time fields. The End Time field will not be the fire's end date, but should instead be the current date or some date after that last date in the fires dataset. To start, create a new field and calculate it with that end date - let's call it DatasetEndDate.

Next, configure the Time settings on this layer so the Start Time field uses either the fire start field (if the fire data has both start and end dates) or the single fire date field. Then the End Time Field will be set to the new DatasetEndDate field you created. This artificial end date ensures this layer keeps drawing on the map after the time the fire stopped burning. 

Here's a sample of data using these 2 layers with different time configurations settings on each.

JesseWickizer_0-1681148755065.png

0 Kudos