Select to view content in your preferred language

Tilt legend in layout

Jump to solution
06-27-2024 04:47 AM
Labels (1)
LarsElmkær_Chwastek
Frequent Contributor

Hi all,

I'm creating a layout in portrait orientation, where my text boxes are tilted 90 degrees, so that the text basically goes from top to bottom. I want to have the same effect with my Legend. but no matter what I do, it seems I can only make the layout frame vertical, not the symbols and text itself.

I have added a screenshot to show my situation. 

I could rotate the map itself and then have a standard horizontal legend and it would work in ArcGIS Pro. However I'm going to use the layout in a Print service on our Entperprise Portal, and there it isn't going through, since I can't tilt my map in the map viewer.

So I need to create a lyout that does it for me. Any input is aprreciated 🙂

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

There's an ENH-000159803 - "Ability to rotate symbols, independently of text symbols, in legends, in layouts" and it is "under consideration" currently.  Best workaround is to convert the legend to graphics, ungroup the graphic items and rotate the symbol itself.  Not the best answer I know.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

There's an ENH-000159803 - "Ability to rotate symbols, independently of text symbols, in legends, in layouts" and it is "under consideration" currently.  Best workaround is to convert the legend to graphics, ungroup the graphic items and rotate the symbol itself.  Not the best answer I know.

LarsElmkær_Chwastek
Frequent Contributor

Hi Robert,

Thank you for your answer. Ok, I'll set my hopes for that being implemented in the near future. 

Will the workaround also work on a print service in Map viewer? I need the layout to work with different layers and therefore different symbol graphics from print to print..

Is the solution where you convert to graphics a dynamic solution that can work in the way I describe?

Or is it only for that particular graphic?

thanks 🙂 

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Certainly @LarsElmkær_Chwastek - hopeful the enhancement request is implemented is near future release!  With regard to your follow up question, I do not know.  The convert to graphics solution is not a dynamic solution in that one loses a direct connection to the legend data.  It's simply graphics that can be edited.

0 Kudos