The map image cannot be overwritten ArcGIS Pro 2.2.1

11-07-2018 08:16 AM
IgnacioFagian
New Contributor

I am trying to overwrite an image web map service, but when I select the item to be overwritten, I receive the following message in arcgis pro:

What can be happening?

ArcGIS Pro 2.2.1 

Portal for ArcGIS 10.6.1
ArcGIS Server 10.6.1

0 Kudos
8 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Ignacio,

Can you describe the steps you're taking to overwrite this map image?

0 Kudos
IgnacioFagian
New Contributor

Adrian, 

I'm following the next steps:

1 - Open aprx project in ArcGISPro
2 - Go to catalog and open the map that i want to overwrite
3 - Then i go to Share Tab and click "Overwrite Web layer" button

4 - Find the existing item to replace

When i press OK button the error message appears.

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Well, it looks like you're following all of the steps listed here, which is what the documentation says:

http://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/help/sharing/overview/overwrite-a-web-layer.htm#ESRI_SECTION1_E0AC1...

Try logging out of ArcGIS Online in Pro and logging in again (closing and re-opening Pro as well). This worked for me when I saw a similar issue (I think, it's been a couple of years but that's what I remember).

0 Kudos
IgnacioFagian
New Contributor

Thanks Adrian, we do not use arcgis online, we have a portal for arcgis installed on our server. 

I already probe restart the server and continue giving error.

0 Kudos
MuhammadRahman1
New Contributor

I having the same problem but when I click on the map template for creating a new project,  the creating map dialog is not showing up. that is in ArcGIS pro 2.2.3, and 2.2.4

0 Kudos
JakubSisak
Occasional Contributor III

Still doesn't work in 2.3.  I suspect map image layers (tile cache, not dynamic) is not supported. The workaround, instead of overwriting, would be to delete the service, then delete the cache folder on the server (\arcgisserver\directories\arcgiscache\yourtilecache) then publishing the service anew...

0 Kudos
PaulSchneider
Occasional Contributor

I had this issue; what I found was that the service I was trying to overwrite was having a pre-existing problem.  In other words, make sure the current service functions properly before attempting to overwrite it.  Stopping, re-starting, then reviewing the ArcGIS Server logs.

0 Kudos
Dunn_Jeremy
New Contributor III

Afternoon All

Does anyone know if this can be done from a script ? I can do it quite happily in ArcPro but if I try and run a python script to do the same thing it throws out this message  "ERROR 001398: Service name 'newlayer' already exists."

I'm trying to overwrite a layer in a portal environment that I have access to, I own the layer being overwritten and the layer which is being used to do the overwriting with. So I'm alittle confused as to why ESRI are getting in the way. 

Regards. 

Jeremy

0 Kudos