tasks lock up ArcPro

05-19-2021 06:11 PM
Ozplanman
New Contributor II

Hi,

Apologies if this is a silly question.

I'm using ArcPro 2.8 and have used previous versions 2.7 back to 2.5.  When I run some processes, like opening a raster layer, ArcPro locks up while its calculating statistics and I can't keep working in the document whilst it does this.  I would expect that as a modern 64bit process the software would enable these sorts of processes to run "in the background" and advise when complete.  I deal with big datasets and it can lock up for an hour preventing me from doing other work.  Yes, I could turn off generating statistics in this case but would have to do it eventually.  Other processes also completely lock up the program too.

Can anyone explain why this still happens or if there's a setting somewhere that I have missed?  TIA

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

There is no "switch", 

your specs.... (use the "check your computer's ability to run Pro" link )

ArcGIS Pro 2.8 system requirements—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

and many suggestions

Troubleshooting Performance Issues in ArcGIS Pro - Esri Community

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
Ozplanman
New Contributor II

Thanks @DanPatterson , yes machine etc. well exceeds all the specifications.  It's not a performance issue it's a structural issue in the program.  The tasks should IMHO run in the background to enable you to keep working.

I think it's nearly time I was also "sort of retired"! 🙂 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

New blog by @KoryKramer 

Announcing the ArcGIS Pro Performance Assessment Tool (PAT) (esri.com)

plus some situations where running in the background won't happen

Use a geoprocessing tool—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

(under Execution threads )

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
pmangtani
New Contributor

If you add a raster/image that does not have statistics Pro usually prompts you if you want to build statistics and warns you that it might take some time. This dialog also has the option to always calculate statistics so you don't see it every time you add a raster without statistics. If you chose to always calculate statistics it could be causing what you are seeing. To reverse this, try the options dialog in the Pro backstage. Screenshot of the relevant option is below.

pmangtani_0-1621634831022.png

0 Kudos
Ozplanman
New Contributor II

Thanks @pmangtani, I am aware of those options.  Basically I have to wait for the stats to build and have faster access to the imagery or turn them off and have slow access.  I would like to have them load, generate stats in the background, be able to keep working in the meantime, and then when prompted that images are ready, use the images when stats are finished generating.  

Cheers.