Take Raster elevation and Add to Shapefile

08-08-2021 06:30 AM
KateSchumacher
New Contributor

Hi, I have a raster band and a shapefiles with different addresses. I would like to take the elevation from the raster and add it to my shapefile. I tried using Extract multivalue to point but the system kept crashing and I'm not sure what I am doing wrong. 

Many thanks!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

How many points?  Perhaps try on a very small subset initially.  Also ensure there's no projection issues or mismatches.

I'd also advise putting the points into a feature class which should be more robust.

Can you share your tool inputs and parameters and any geoprocessing messages you may have in the history.

0 Kudos
KateSchumacher
New Contributor

The subset is small and I have no projection issues that I can tell. When I put the shapefile into a feature class, it is also not outputting the points. It generates an empty output. I included a pic of the spatial reference of both layers to ensure it is not projection issue. Many thanks for the help.

0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

I would probably then run check geometry / repair geometry to see if that's the issue.  There's likely something wrong with the shapefile.  Also as Jayanta et al have said - extract values to points is also the best tool when the shapefile issue is sorted.

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The Raster layer doesn't look correct. Min./Max. values are same. Could you run Calculate Statistics, on the Raster and check if the Min./Max. values change.

As mentioned by David, I would also check if the coordinate system are same as well (for both the Raster as well as the Point layer).

If you are extracting values from a single-band raster, Extract Values to Points should work.

Restart ArcGIS Pro and your system, if you haven't done it in a while.

Think Location
0 Kudos
DrVSSKiran
Occasional Contributor II

Please ensure that your raster and shapefile both are the same.  If points are less and it's not covered the entire raster I could suggest you to set the environmental setting in the geoprocessing tool and set the extent. And later as suggested by Jayanta go for Extract values to point as it's single-band raster.

0 Kudos