Symbology help

10-27-2022 09:50 AM
Labels (2)
Ferney
by
New Contributor

Hi, I'm Ferne,

I'm a wildlife conservation university student working on my first assignment in my GIS module. I need to ask for help on how to add UKHab symbology to my project.

This is an extra thing that I want to do and not an actual part of the assignment, so I'm not breaking any rules in asking; I've just had no luck googling or even YouTubing for solutions.

I have found and downloaded the files from the UKHab website, but they are in .lyr and .qml format rather than .stylx, and I cannot find how to add them as a style for symbology. The document with them isn't meant to show you how to import them, so it's no help here.

Could someone give some guidance?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
LyonMNGIS
Occasional Contributor II

Ferney,

A .lyr file is a layer file that contains symbology for ArcMAP.  ArcGIS Pro can read the older .lyr files. Layer files are generally connected to data.  If you don't have the data then you can update the source to another dataset that has the same fields.

A .stylx file is an ArcGIS Pro file that contains symbology that may be reused from project to project.  For example if you create a map where your roads are colored red then you can share that style with others without providing any data.  You will need to open the symbology tab and select an appropriate point symbol within the Format Point Symbol menu.

A .qml file is a style file for QGIS which is a GIS software made by a different vendor.

I don't know if there is anything in youtube, but it seems like there is plenty of documentation on ESRI's site