Store Coordinates Are Not On Map

03-15-2022 09:29 AM
SarahModlin
New Contributor

I'm trying to put the Cuyahoga County stores on my map. The outline is Cuyahoga county, but the stores' coordinates are for some reason outside the county. I'm trying to figure out how to move the coordinates down so they will be within the map.

I keep making sure the environments/output coordinates are within the map, but they still are located above

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Brian_Wilson
Occasional Contributor III

The datasets are in different projections. When you find out what the projections really are and redefine them, they will snap into place. Is one of these a shapefile with no PRJ file by any chance? Old shapefiles did not have any PRJ (or they get lost because someone forgets to copy them) so Pro has to guess and it often guesses wrong.

0 Kudos
SarahModlin
New Contributor

One of the shapefiles doesn't have a PRJ file! I may have to manually enter the coordinates of the stores just to make them fit within the county!

0 Kudos
Brian_Wilson

No, just copy... that's what I was trying to say in many words. This is a problem with OLD data.

So for example if the points file has "points.prj" and the boundary file has no "boundary.prj", try copying points.prj to boundary.prj... it MIGHT be the wrong projection but chances are good it's what you need.

0 Kudos
Brian_Wilson

What I find often is that if for example I get 40 shapefiles from County X, they will all be in the same County X projection even if some of them are missing the PRJ files. So it's a good bet that you can force the data into the same projection by copying the PRJ file. 

For example, if you have a shapefile called "okaydata" and one called "funnypoints" then you would copy "okaydata.prj" to "funnypoints.prj" and it would then be defined with the same projection.

Of course there is an impressively complicated tool with colorful buttons you can use to do all this in ArcGIS Pro but sometimes copying a file is easier. I think it is called "Define Projection" The tool's advantage is that it works the same way for file geodatabases as it does for shapefiles.

0 Kudos