Southern Hemisphere ArcGIS Coordinates In Revit

Jump to solution
08-07-2020 02:52 PM
AustinVan_Brasch
New Contributor

I'm trying to set coordinates in a Revit model so I can bring the model into ArcGIS Pro without having to manually georeference it. I followed the method in this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ap57raSTPx0) and it worked perfectly for a building in Newark, New Jersey using WGS 84 / UTM zone 18N coordinates. My issue is when I try to do the same process for a model located in Wellington, New Zealand. I have tried NZGD2000 / UTM zone 60S (EPSG:2135) as well as WGS 84 / UTM zone 60S (EPSG:32760). I have also tried every combination of negative northing and easting values when specifying the coordinate at point in Revit, guessing that the data being in the Southern Hemisphere is tripping up Revit, Pro, or both. ArcGIS Pro understands that the model's spatial reference is whatever PRJ file I have packaged with the RVT file, but the model does not display and zooming to the feature just sends me to 0,0.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DA_BIM-GIS
Esri Contributor

Hello Austin, 

If you did the procedure on the video these could be some of the possibilities why your file is not showing up. 

1. The Base Point was moved from the internal origin causing an issue with the extent.  
  2. There is mix of units (model has different units form the projection). - could send the file underground 
  3. You are working with a newer version of Revit that Pro currently do not support. 

A way to see the file. 

• Open the Table for the Walls layer after you have the file on a Scene. Do you have any records ? If you see records on the table then select one of the record and right click on it - Zoom to

If you still have issue feel free to contact me. 

Best regards, 

David

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DA_BIM-GIS
Esri Contributor

Hello Austin, 

If you did the procedure on the video these could be some of the possibilities why your file is not showing up. 

1. The Base Point was moved from the internal origin causing an issue with the extent.  
  2. There is mix of units (model has different units form the projection). - could send the file underground 
  3. You are working with a newer version of Revit that Pro currently do not support. 

A way to see the file. 

• Open the Table for the Walls layer after you have the file on a Scene. Do you have any records ? If you see records on the table then select one of the record and right click on it - Zoom to

If you still have issue feel free to contact me. 

Best regards, 

David

AustinVan_Brasch
New Contributor

Thanks so much! I initially tried this on the New Jersey building with Revit 2018 and moved to Revit 2021 LT when trying the New Zealand model. Downgrading to Revit 2018 LT and using WGS 84 / UTM zone 60S (EPSG:32760) did the trick.

0 Kudos