Select to view content in your preferred language

Small Caps?

04-14-2015 11:40 AM
JeffreyNormandin
New Contributor

I am wondering if there is any intention to fix the fact that "Small Caps" do not appear correctly?  I have been using a MS Word Object in ArcMap for title blocks on my maps (to match the logo style below), where I am able to properly format text as Small Caps - large initial (capital) letters, with small capitals for subsequent letters.  In ArcMap, Small Caps makes all letters small capitals, basically turning your text into AllCaps at 80% of selected font size, with no differentiation between capitals and non-capitals.

I have found ESRI forums with people complaining of this as early as 2003.

I have just installed ArcGIS Pro, and it appears that my MS Word object for my title black is not compatible, yet the new program STILL does not properly draw Small Caps...

So, is this going to be resolved?

Thanks,

Jeff Normandin

GIS Manager

WP-logo-color_sm.jpg

0 Kudos
3 Replies
WendyHarrison
Esri Contributor

Hi Jeff,

We have an issue logged for the small caps display and are looking into it.

thanks

Wendy

StefanFreelanFreelan
New Contributor III

There are also a few fonts that use the Small Caps format (so you don't have to use the small caps formating). I know that Copperplate Gothic Bold, Copperplate Gothic Light, Orator Std, Trajan Pro and Trajan Pro 3 all use this form. There may be others as well.

JeffreyNormandin
New Contributor

Thanks Stefan, those are good suggestions.  Unfortunately in this instance I was trying to match the Optima font in our company logo (shown with my name above), so I couldn't pick an alternative font.  But those are useful suggestions for other times when I might be trying to get the same effect.

Jeff

0 Kudos