Shortcut to Run a Geoprocessing Tool?

Jump to solution
07-19-2019 11:33 AM
Thomas_Z1
New Contributor III

It's very tedious switching to the mouse to run the tool. I am looking for a key combination (Ctrl+Enter, F5, F9 or whatever) to run a geoprocessing tool.

Does anyone knows which shortcut is used here? Are there any shortcuts at all?

In other words, the cursor is still inside the expression text field and I want to run the script without switching to the mouse and click on the run button. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DrewFlater
Esri Regular Contributor

Thomas Zuberbuehler thank you for the comment. The geoprocessing team is providing the shortcut key Ctrl+Shift+Enter to run the geoprocessing tool in the Pro 2.5 release. Initially this will work only when the Geoprocessing pane has focus, but we will also work on getting the shortcut key to run the tool even if the focus is in a different window or the ribbon in a future release. I think what we deliver in 2.5 will cover your request of typing in a geoprocessing parameter control/text box and wanting to immediately run the tool without moving the mouse down to the run, or tabbing through the remaining parameter to get to the Run button. 

View solution in original post

10 Replies
LanceCole
MVP Regular Contributor
0 Kudos
Thomas_Z1
New Contributor III

Hi Lance Cole‌,

Thank you but I am looking for a shortcut to execute the geoprocessing tool while editing its parameters (e.g. changing the expression in the Select Layer by Attribute tool).

Cheers,

Thomas

0 Kudos
LanceCole
MVP Regular Contributor

Thomas Zuberbuehler‌, 

I am sorry, I miss understood your question.  You can just "Tab" to it and hit enter.

Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

From the StackExchange, a good explanation of why there's no shortcut key to run a GP tool.  You may find it here.

Thomas_Z1
New Contributor III

Hi Robert LeClair‌,

Thank you. Even though the link does not give any explanation why there's no shortcut key to run a GP tool (it's just not possible), it answers my question. It's not possible.

Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Thomas,

You can create a Task with the Select Layer By Attributes geoprocessing tool embedded in the task step. The Run button on the Task step can be activated with Alt+X.

Relevant documentation:

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/help/tasks/configstepcommand.htm

Thomas_Z1
New Contributor III

Hi Scott Harris‌,

I did not look into tasks yet which I am going to change this weekend.

Thank you for this very useful tip!

DrewFlater
Esri Regular Contributor

Thomas Zuberbuehler thank you for the comment. The geoprocessing team is providing the shortcut key Ctrl+Shift+Enter to run the geoprocessing tool in the Pro 2.5 release. Initially this will work only when the Geoprocessing pane has focus, but we will also work on getting the shortcut key to run the tool even if the focus is in a different window or the ribbon in a future release. I think what we deliver in 2.5 will cover your request of typing in a geoprocessing parameter control/text box and wanting to immediately run the tool without moving the mouse down to the run, or tabbing through the remaining parameter to get to the Run button. 

Thomas_Z1
New Contributor III

Drew Flater‌ thank you for your response. I'm currently using ArcGIS Pro 2.6 but the shortcut key Ctrl+Shift+Enter does not work for me. Any update on this feature?

0 Kudos