Select to view content in your preferred language

Sharing to Content to ArcGIS Enterprise, Overwriting shared content

04-18-2022 08:16 AM
BarryFosberg
Regular Contributor

Bottom Line First:

My goal is to allow anyone in the division with write access to our Enterprise portal (build 10.9) to overwrite a hosted feature class. Share Overwrite only allows users to see their folders. How do I configure share to allow a user to see shared content at the Portal?

I am in Law enforcement. We are using Enterprise in part because we have our own firewall. The workflow for this project includes some involved processes designed to ensure that no one working the project is asked to name a field, attribute, or a feature. Once they have finished at the Arc GIS Pro (2.8) level, they are to overwrite one hosted feature class. The hosted feature informs a web map which then informs several web maps, each one populating a Web App and the apps are displayed to the Department in a storyboard. All of this is fine if I run the process beginning to end.

Should I not be present, I have shared a map project which others in my Group can access and operate. When the time comes to share/overwrite to the portal, only I can see the folder where the features class and the rest are stored.

Every map, app, service, and feature class in the project are shared to the group. The group can edit.

I have looked at Overwrite Feature Services Script Tool for Automating Updates. Has anyone used this for this kind of problem?

Has anyone another or better solution?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
tigerwoulds
Frequent Contributor

While that's a good solution, you should dig into your ELA with esri for your ArcGIS Enterprise license. The way ours has always been structured is such that every user must use a named user account and 'shared' accounts are not allowed. Even for things like a generic pseudo-admin account set up for the sole purpose of changing service ownership. I talked to our esri account manager about this in the past and they recommended the custom role assigned to specific users. 

0 Kudos
BarryFosberg
Regular Contributor

You are on to more than the problems with the Agreement.

Having a Common user at the portal is of no value, unless their exists a common log in Pro. That is the ability to store in a common folder at the portal, depends on having a common log in at the desktop.  

I have a few ideas left

0 Kudos