Shape_Length correction

Jump to solution
03-18-2017 10:31 AM
BJAdams
New Contributor

I'm having an issue with my Shape_Length field produced from the points to line tool. I have 23 sets of GPS locations that I converted into lines. I want to produce a field with the length in kilometers of each 23 polylines. My issue (at least from what I understand) is that the field is automatically generating a field based on the maps geometry, and producing numbers far below what I expect. I'm not sure what to change to get a Shape_Length field in kilometers. The map coordinate system and the system for each feature class is GCS WGS 1984.

I also tried adding a length field with the Add Geometry Attributes tool, but Length is not listed in the Geometry Properties drop-down menu.

I could either use help with knowing how what the unit conversion to kilometer is (if there even is one) or what to change to tell my feature I want kilometers.

I'm at the point where I've been scouring the internet and the software so long that I may probably missed something obvious and need to take the weekend to clear my head... Any help is appreciated!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Shape_length will be in the units of the geometry, which in your case is in decimal degrees.  The Add Geometry tool should do it if you indeed have a line feature class...calculate them in projected coordinates using the .  Alternately, you can add a field directly and calculate the length directly using projected units if your map is set to an appropriate projection

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Shape_length will be in the units of the geometry, which in your case is in decimal degrees.  The Add Geometry tool should do it if you indeed have a line feature class...calculate them in projected coordinates using the .  Alternately, you can add a field directly and calculate the length directly using projected units if your map is set to an appropriate projection