Select to view content in your preferred language

Selective map frame visibility in a map series

Jump to solution
10-05-2023 11:09 AM
MichaelMorgan4
Occasional Contributor

In Arc Pro (latest as of now, 3.1.3), within a map series, is there a method to display an inset map frame only if the map frame extent appears in another map frame?

For example:

In a map series showing various school districts with board positions within a county, there is one school district with 3 board positions that covers a large rural area (about 1:150,000 in a 9.5" x 12" map frame), centering around a small town (about 1/3 square mile) cut into thirds by these 3 board positions. I would like to show an inset for this small town, about 1:24,000 in a 3" x 4" frame, but only for the 3 pages in the series for these 3 board positions. The inset would be irrelevant for the remaining 12 pages for school districts in other parts of the county, so should not be visible for these pages.

I was hoping there might be some dynamic Arcade code useful in this situation, similar to dynamic table text available in a map series.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AubriKinghorn
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi!

There isn't an out of the box way to do this currently in ArcGIS Pro as of version 3.1 (you can always add an idea for it on the Ideas site if you'd like to see this in the future). However, it can be done via python script. This sample shows how to rearrange and add elements per page in a map series MapSeries_LayoutManager_Pro24 . It could be a great place to start. 

Cheers,
Aubri

View solution in original post

2 Replies
AubriKinghorn
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi!

There isn't an out of the box way to do this currently in ArcGIS Pro as of version 3.1 (you can always add an idea for it on the Ideas site if you'd like to see this in the future). However, it can be done via python script. This sample shows how to rearrange and add elements per page in a map series MapSeries_LayoutManager_Pro24 . It could be a great place to start. 

Cheers,
Aubri
MichaelMorgan4
Occasional Contributor

I can see this working for complex map series situations, but I will go ahead and submit an idea also. This situation I am describing is something I would file as a "one-off", like a single exception to a current map series. Also, this python program solution seems to produce only one page at a time. That said, this is an impressive piece of code

0 Kudos