Screen Redraw Issues when Geoprocessing window is undocked

08-02-2018 07:52 PM
GabrielMarcus1
Occasional Contributor II

Running ArcGIS Pro 2.2.1 with 4 monitors on an NVIDIA M4000 with current drivers.

I needed more screen space for my map, so I undocked the Geoprocessing window to a different screen. I'm having issues of it getting overdrawn when not maximized. The top and bottom thirds don't update until my mouse scrolls over the areas. The effect is almost like a round paintbrush that redraws the window. 

This doesn't happen when the window is maximized or when it's docked into the main app window. 

Does it matter that this is screen 3 and 4? Are more processing resources allocated to lower numbered screens?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
22 Replies
GabrielMarcus1

Win 7 64 bit Enterprise SP1 

32 GB of RAM

0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Thank you. hmmm... ok another question: Is DWM.exe running in the process list in Windows Task Manager?

0 Kudos
GabrielMarcus1

Yes. Doesn't it always run in W7? 

0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

It should be running, but I've seen a case where it was not running and this caused the same issue described here. Once it was running again, the issue was resolved.

What theme are you using in Windows? Surprisingly, in non-esri forum someone found where changing the theme resolved a very similar issue. See: Windows leave trail when dragging in Windows 7 on new machine | AnandTech Forums: Technology, Hardwa... 

GabrielMarcus1

This is the only program that performs this way. 

The link you posted offered a solution for 32 bit windows, but I am running 64 bit. 

0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Gabriel,

Yes I know, but it was worth a shot. I was trying to rule out some of the easier workarounds we have listed for the following bug report:

[BUG-000104779 Application windows and dialogs suffer from drawing artifacts on Windows 7 when Pro is on the secondary monitor]

This issue only seems to occur on some Windows 7 machines, and not in Windows 10. The status of the defect is "In Product Plan". I would urge you to contact Esri Technical Support to have a case attached to the defect for tracking. You can call 888-377-4575 for Support.

I'm sorry I don't have a better answer for you.

-Scott

0 Kudos
GabrielMarcus1

I can't find that bug number. 

0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

I'm fairly certain you'll need to have Support case attached to the defect in order to search for it in My Esri.

0 Kudos
GabrielMarcus1

Ok. I'm relatively new to all things ESRI. Why wouldn't it appear on this page?

Esri Support Search-Results 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Gabriel, the bugs only appear on that page when they have been solved.

What Scott means is that you would have filed a 'bug report' through your channels (or yourself if you are able to do so).

Any progress, notifications and/or conclusions on the bug... you will get notification.

Hence the importance of filing bug reports

(ps.. I don't work for esri, but I have filed bug reports and they DO keep you posted of any changes)