scheduling geoprocessing tool

Jump to solution
06-11-2020 10:35 AM
HughB
by
New Contributor

I'm running into issues when trying to schedule a Geoprocessing tool to run at a later time. I receive this error when trying to schedule the tool:

Tool runs with no issues when done manually. 

Would appreciate any help or guidance. 

Just upgraded to Pro 2.5.1

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DrewFlater
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello everyone,

Thanks to Hugh B‌ ' s help troubleshooting the problem, we have found and addressed the bug in Pro 2.6 Beta 2. The issue is with per-user installs of ArcGIS Pro 2.5, or configured installs that do not write registry settings to the LOCAL_MACHINE folder. 

If anyone is experiencing this and would like to test the fix, and other capabilities, provided in the ArcGIS Pro 2.6 Beta program, please send me a notice: dflater@esri.com. If you need to stay using ArcGIS Pro 2.5, the only solution available now is to install using the per-machine option.

Drew

View solution in original post

8 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You are following these instructions? particularly the "Note" issues?

Schedule geoprocessing tools—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

... sort of retired...
HughB
by
New Contributor

Yes, I have followed that guide and made sure to adhere to the Notes included 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

https://support.esri.com/en/Search-Results#search?q=object%20reference%20not%20set%20to%20an%20insta...

sorry, you will have to narrow down your case from the known bugs associated with that error message then from the Support page

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
DrewFlater
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello Hugh B‌,

We have tried to troubleshoot this problem with others as well. Can you try these steps and answer a few questions?

• Do you have Pro installed per-user vs per-machine?
  • Is the account you are logged into the admin of the machine?
  • Is it a physical machine or virtual?
  • Do you have write access to the folder %localappdata%\ESRI\ArcGISPro\Geoprocessing\ScheduledTools? Try to make a new text file in that location. If the Geoprocessing or ScheduledTools folders doesn't exist can you try to make those folders manually in that location?
  • Where is your project file located, on your local system or on a network share?  Can you make new files in that location?
  • Can you make a new Untitled project (use Start without a template... option when Pro opens) and just try to schedule a basic tool like Get Count (Data Management), using a feature class path as input.
HughB
by
New Contributor

Drew,

Thank you for your reply.

• Pro is installed per user
  • The account does have admin permissions on the machine
  • Physical machine
  • Yes, These folders exist and I can create a blank text document in ScheduledTools
  • I have tried to schedule tools from projects that are saved on the local machine as well as a shared location, both of which I have permission to create files in those locations
  • Get Count scheduled in a new untitled project environment resulted in the same "Adding schedule command failed" message. However, a folder was created in the %localappdata%\ESRI\ArcGISPro\Geoprocessing\ScheduledTools location on my machine called "Get Count_*date and time of schedule*" with a python script titled "task"

Let me know if you need any additional information.

0 Kudos
DrewFlater
Esri Regular Contributor

Thanks very much Hugh B‌, I think we're getting somewhere. I will try to reproduce your configuration.

In the mean-time, can you upload the contents of that "Get Count _ xxxx" folder? It should contain the task.py file and a task.xml file. The task.py contains the actual executable used to run scheduled tools outside the application, and the task.xml contains a description of the scheduler properties. Since you didn't mention task.xml maybe the creation of this file is what is failing...

HughB
by
New Contributor

Drew,

Yes, there is only the task.py file in the folder (no XML). Please see attached screen shot for a copy (paths removed).

0 Kudos
DrewFlater
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello everyone,

Thanks to Hugh B‌ ' s help troubleshooting the problem, we have found and addressed the bug in Pro 2.6 Beta 2. The issue is with per-user installs of ArcGIS Pro 2.5, or configured installs that do not write registry settings to the LOCAL_MACHINE folder. 

If anyone is experiencing this and would like to test the fix, and other capabilities, provided in the ArcGIS Pro 2.6 Beta program, please send me a notice: dflater@esri.com. If you need to stay using ArcGIS Pro 2.5, the only solution available now is to install using the per-machine option.

Drew