Scheduling Geoprocessing fails with no error messages

Jump to solution
04-11-2023 06:35 AM
Labels (3)
JonahRemigio
New Contributor II

Hi! Having huge issues using the scheduler in ArcGIS Pro (64-bit) for geoprocessing, and there is hardly any knowledge online about the scheduler itself. I'm just trying to run the Raster Calculator with the scheduler, which of course sounds very simple. However, trying to perform this simple task has led to literal weeks of scouring forums.

Basically, I have two .tif files stored on my local computer. Not a on VM, not on a server, they're stored locally. My code simply compares the intersection of certain values:

("2001.tif" == 0) & ("2023.tif" ==1)

In this example, I'd be looking for specific pixels that have a value of 0 in 2001, and a value of 1 in 2023. Easy!

Now if I just run this off the bat, there's no issues. It's for a country-sized area, so it takes some time, but no problems come up. However, the second I try to run this through the scheduler, nothing works. The command will run for about 0.2 seconds, fail, and will say "There are no messages." leaving no way of knowing what's gone wrong.

JonahRemigio_0-1681219421133.png

Here is an exhaustive list of everything I've tried:

• Rebooted computer
  • Reinstalled ArcGIS
  • Turned on log XML feature of geoprocessing (it doesn't write a log when it "fails")
  • Remove spaces from source .tif names
  • Remove numbers from source .tif names and resulting .tif names
  • Moved files to other local folders
  • Unchecked "Read-only" in properties of folders with source files and resulting files
  • Checked Windows Credential Manager to see if Python or ArcGIS needed credentials to operate a schedule (dead end, neither ArcGIS, Python, or Esri were in the list)
  • Looked into Windows Task Scheduler (doesn't help, since the process doesn't start, it doesn't create a task)
  • Tried finding a way to turn off background processing (there is no way... I'm on Pro which is 64x and is built on background processing)
  • Made sure my Processing Extent was correct (either Default or Union of Inputs)
  • Made sure my Output Coordinate System is correct
  • Made sure I have access to Spatial Analyst
  • Authorized ArcGIS Pro to work offline
  • Made sure Python is up-to-date
  • Made sure ArcGIS is up-to-date (in fact, I tried this in two different versions and still had this issue)
  • Made sure to have .tif at the end of the output raster name
  • Made sure my RAM is all good (have a ton of memory on this device so it should not be an issue, CPU and GPU are also definitely good enough)

I am out of options. I've tried everything I can. At this point, it seems like the scheduler is loaded with issues and there is hardly any support for it. Any help would be much appreciated, because otherwise I'll need to calculate around 100 raster calculations and zonal statistics manually.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BarryNorthey
Occasional Contributor III

ArcGIS Pro 3.1.1. I tried a simple raster calculation that ran fine on its own but it would not schedule for reasons unknown. I created a simple model in Model Builder that did the exact same thing and scheduled it to run as a model (every 5 minutes for testing) and it worked OK. Don't know why but it might work for you. I used the full dataset path to the raster and %t% at the end of the output raster name to create unique output names.

Schedule a Model Run

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Are you sure that it doesn't exist in task scheduler? A task should exist if it was created on a schedule.  I'd adjust the settings to run it as admin.

Also in your raster calculator I'd ensure that the Datasets are referenced rather than the Layers.

0 Kudos
JonahRemigio
New Contributor II

It wouldn't even start Python, let alone create a task which I found weird. Tried running on admin and making sure things were referenced but still ran into the issue.

A solution was found by @BarryNorthey which just involves recreating the process in the Model Builder. Once you do that, you can go into the Catalog, Toolboxes, and then under your project you can find your model to Open and then schedule as needed.

Just a note for anyone reading this in the future, if it doesn't seem like your Scheduled task is running (the icon doesn't change), just check Task Manager and look for a Python process. ArcGIS will create a separate process for each scheduled task running at a time.

0 Kudos
BarryNorthey
Occasional Contributor III

ArcGIS Pro 3.1.1. I tried a simple raster calculation that ran fine on its own but it would not schedule for reasons unknown. I created a simple model in Model Builder that did the exact same thing and scheduled it to run as a model (every 5 minutes for testing) and it worked OK. Don't know why but it might work for you. I used the full dataset path to the raster and %t% at the end of the output raster name to create unique output names.

Schedule a Model Run

JonahRemigio
New Contributor II

JonahRemigio_0-1681259752719.png

Thanks! Turns out if you just recreate your process in the Model Builder, it'll run. For anyone else trying this in the future, adding the %t% to your file name did not seem to fix the issue for me.

Seems like Esri may need to fix the scheduler and add more online support. Hopefully this thread helps someone in the future.