Select to view content in your preferred language

Saving Editing Template to use in other Projects

Jump to solution
12-19-2018 12:09 PM
BrianBulla
Honored Contributor

Is it possible to save an editing template to use in other projects?  I do not see a way to do it.  We have created some 'Group Templates' (which take some time to create), and seems to make sense to be able to save them and use them in other projects when needed.  Kind of like a .lyrx file, but for Templates.

Am I missing something, or can this just not be done.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
11 Replies
BrianBulla
Honored Contributor

Hi Scott,

Basically what I am trying to do is figure out a way to share templates.  I'm only using .lyrx files because that seems to be the only mechanism for doing that right now.  

In my group of 7 or 8 people, we all edit data, and all need to use the same tools to edit the same data (a versioned SDE).  As these 'Group Templates' are a bit of a pain to setup, it makes sense to try and share them amongst each other instead of having to create them from scratch each time.

For example, the one 'Group Template' highlighted below actually creates four different features.  So it's super convenient to use, but a bit of a pain to setup.

So from your response above, it sounds like creating a 'Group Layer File' would solve this.  I did just finish testing and it seems to work.  It's a different workflow for us.  Currently (in ArcMap) we just drag and drop layers from SDE into a map, hit our 'Symbolize Layer' button (pulling from Layer files), and everything works.  Everyone uses the 'old school' editing (ie. NOT template editing) in ArcMap, so I'm trying to bridge the gap to make the transition to ArcGIS Pro as easy as possible.  

And using group templates will allow me to not have to rewrite the code I have working in ArcMap to work in ArcGIS Pro.  I want to use as much 'out of the box' functionality as possible and stop maintaining code.

Now with the 'renaming' of the template issue I am seeing, this is how it is happening for me using an example of a group template for creating a Mainline/Manhole feature:

1.  Create a 'Template' for the Mainline, using default value for all attributes.

2.  Create a 'New Group Template' by right-clicking the template from #1.  Edit the 'Builders' to also include a Manhole feature at the end of the line.

3.  Save, close and reopen ArcGIS Pro.  Both templates are still there.

4.  Rename the template from step #1.

5.  Save, close and reopen ArcGIS Pro.  Template #2 is now missing.

Is this supposed to happen?  I would think that when I do step #2, I am creating a copy of the first template which is totally independent from the one created in step #1.  

0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Brian,

Thanks for clarifying.

For sharing the editing templates to your users, you may want to look into project templates (which can contain maps) or project/map packages, or a mix of both. Some good info here: FAQ: What are the methods for transferring customized settings in ArcGIS Pro from one machine to ano... 

Regarding the lost template after renaming the original - yes, we will address this problem in a future release of Pro, but for now, parent group templates should not be renamed - if you want the child group template to come back, rename the parent template back to the original name. 

Thanks,

Scott