Select to view content in your preferred language

.rvt publish via 2D Web Map

Jump to solution
08-12-2019 09:45 AM
jackgalaydick
New Contributor

I want to use .rvt file to publish a 2D webmap of floorplans.  I can publish them via Global Scenes in 3D view, but also want to publish them as simple WebMaps in 2D..  When i try to publish a 2D map, only the basemap gets published as a layer and not my .rvt file, why is this the case?  Another question is why can't I publish certain layers from the .rvt file and not the entire .rvt project.

Using ArcPro 2.4 with Portal 10.7

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DA_BIM-GIS
Esri Contributor

Hello Jack,

The BIM file (Revit as data source) is composed by 3D geometries so a Map will not be able to publish them. Scene (Local or Global) will be okay.  The only way to publish 3D geometries (Revit as data source) on a Map (2D) is convert them to feature classes. To create floor plans as you mention you will need to deaggregate the geometry from 3D to 2.5D or 2.D.

Another question is why can't I publish certain layers from the .rvt file and not the entire .rvt project.

If you are using a RVT as a source, you cannot publish the individual layers. The layers have a relation that make them a “Building” so you will need to convert the layer(s) that you want to feature class(es) to be able to publish them.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DA_BIM-GIS
Esri Contributor

Hello Jack,

The BIM file (Revit as data source) is composed by 3D geometries so a Map will not be able to publish them. Scene (Local or Global) will be okay.  The only way to publish 3D geometries (Revit as data source) on a Map (2D) is convert them to feature classes. To create floor plans as you mention you will need to deaggregate the geometry from 3D to 2.5D or 2.D.

Another question is why can't I publish certain layers from the .rvt file and not the entire .rvt project.

If you are using a RVT as a source, you cannot publish the individual layers. The layers have a relation that make them a “Building” so you will need to convert the layer(s) that you want to feature class(es) to be able to publish them.

jackgalaydick
New Contributor

Thank you for the update David!

Any chance in future releases, that we can publish individual RVT files or have the ability to convert RVT 3D to 2D?  We do alot with RVT files so having this functionality would be great.

0 Kudos
DA_BIM-GIS
Esri Contributor

Hello Jack, 

Use the GP tool call Create Building Scene Layer Package (Pro 2.3 forward). This tool will create a package that can be use in Pro and\or it can upload to used in the web.(WebScene) 

These are some resources. 

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/help/mapping/layer-properties/building-scene-layer-in-arcgis-pro.h...

https://developers.arcgis.com/javascript/latest/sample-code/building-scene-layer-slice/index.html

Best regards, 

David