Reverse Geocoding Tool in ArcGIS Pro

05-13-2015 09:05 AM
JeffWard
Occasional Contributor III

Hi,

Is there such a thing in ArcGIS Pro as a reverse geocoding tool like the Address Inspector on the geocoding toolbar in ArcMap?  My searches haven't found one.

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff Ward
Summit County, Utah
22 Replies
ChristaHash
Esri Contributor

In Pro Beta 1.1, What's Here should work with custom locators that are published as geocode services, but support for custom locators added from a file folder to the project still won't be added until Pro 1.1 Final.

As far as why the World service is not working... Are you signed in to Pro through ArcGIS Online or through a custom portal? Starting with Pro Beta 1.1, all portal locators are added to a project automatically (and as you noted, cannot be deleted). If you're signed in through arcgis.com, you should get the World service added to your project (along with any other locators published through your account). If you check your Locators folder, it should be there. However, if you're signed on through a custom portal, this may not be the case, and you would have to add the World service manually through a server connection (Connect to the ArcGIS Online World Geocoding Service—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS for Professionals ).

Let me know if any of this helps or if you have any additional questions. Thanks!

0 Kudos
JeffWard

Thanks Christa Hash. I am logged in through ArcGIS.com.

How do you add a geocoding service?  When I try to add a locator it will only look locally, there wasn't an option to add a service from a server that I could see.

Thanks for your help.

Jeff Ward
Summit County, Utah
0 Kudos
ChristaHash
Esri Contributor

You would need to add a server connection to the server that the locator is published on first. The there's an option to view server connections in the browse dialog, and the locator should appear there.

Since you're logged on to through ArcGIS.com, if you go to the Locate pane and click over to the Settings tab, do you see the World service listed as a find provider?

0 Kudos
JeffWard

I'm still not getting anything to come up.  Nothing comes up in the General Locator nor my own locator on my server.

I was able to add the server connection by right clicking in the empty area of the Project pane and choosing "New ArcGIS Server Connection".  I added my locator service, but nothing comes up.  I'm still not sure what the results should be of the "What's Here" method of the Explore tool (since it has never worked for me).

Jeff Ward
Summit County, Utah
0 Kudos
ChristaHash
Esri Contributor

When you click on the Settings tab of the Locate pane, what locators are listed under find providers?

0 Kudos
ChristaHash
Esri Contributor

I've looked into this a little further. What's Here is currently only supported with locators that are added automatically through your portal connection (in your case ArcGIS.com) -- not locators added from a folder location or from a portal connection created from within the project. Full support for all locators in a project will be added for Pro 1.1. If you're not seeing results from the World service in What's Here, it's possible you don't have it enabled. The "enable" checkboxes on the Settings tab of the Locate pane control whether the locator is used for Locate and for What's Here. Please let me know if you have any further questions, but hopefully all of these issues will be resolved with the upcoming release.

0 Kudos
JeffWard

Thanks for looking into this Christa.

I do have it enabled and still don't get anything to come up.  Do I need to have data added to my map?  I just have a basemap right now.

Jeff Ward
Summit County, Utah
0 Kudos
ChristaHash
Esri Contributor

You shouldn't have to add any data for this functionality to work.

I noticed above that you said that the World service returns results in the Locate pane. Can you check if it appears in the dropdown options for Input Address Locator on the Geocode Addresses GP tool?

0 Kudos
JeffWard

No, just the locator I added from my server.  The general locator doesn't show up, neither does my locator for ArcGIS.com.

Jeff Ward
Summit County, Utah
0 Kudos
ChristaHash
Esri Contributor

I'm having trouble pinpointing the issue, and I'm not able to reproduce it on my end. I think your best option at this point is to contact Tech Support. They can walk through your whole process and get your data and account info, and hopefully we can get everything working for you as expected. I'm sorry I couldn't fully resolve everything on my end. They will definitely be able to help you out, though.

0 Kudos