Retroactively Add Z-Values to Polyline Vertices

07-22-2022 09:45 AM
Labels (1)
Charrobinson
New Contributor II

I have a gdb with over a thousand polylines. Recently, I've needed to add elevation data to them. I know that if I export the feature layer I can make it z aware and then use the z mode feature on scenes to automatically populate z-values for all new lines I create. However, I still need elevation values for the ones that already exist, preferably without going through all of them or mapping new lines on top of them. Each entry carries too much past metadata to make new polylines entirely.

Is there a tool that can add these values or will I have to jerry-rig something?

To be clear, I don't need the vertice z-values in the attribute table itself, but the layer does need to carry it. 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Michael_Wilson
New Contributor

In ArcGIS Pro, use the "Update Feature Z" tool.
It can be found here:  3D Analyst Tools —> 3D Features —> Interpolation —> Update Feature Z
You should be able to calculate the Z-value for all vertices in all features in your feature class this way.  The tool asks for the Input Features as well as an Input Surface.

0 Kudos
Charrobinson
New Contributor II

Hi, thanks for your reply. Interestingly, I didn't find this tool earlier. However, when I tried running it just now, the tool wouldn't progress past 0%, and I eventually had to stop it by force quitting the program. Does it take a while if there are a lot of features and a lot of vertices?

0 Kudos