Repair many broken repair data source

Jump to solution
09-28-2020 09:34 AM
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

When you received one or many layers that came to you from someone else or  from other sources and has many red exclamation point(s) next to each layer.

I followed the instructions that came with it but didn't get what I wanted.

Repair broken data sources in a map—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

I was trying to get all of them to get their data sources click at once but I had to click each at a time instead.

Is there a way to do that ? or is that the only way to do that ?

Thanks

Rebecca McKinley

Dan Patterson

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Amber_Support
Esri Contributor

Hello! I have found this ArcGIS Blog post that gives 5 tips when fixing broken links which you can find here: ArcGIS Pro Tips: 5 Tips For Fixing Broken Data Links 

One tip states, "If you have several layers that reference the same data source, that need to be fixed, you can repair the links one time in the Contents pane and ArcGIS Pro automatically repairs other broken layers. For example, if you have several feature classes stored in the same geodatabase, and the geodatabase has been renamed. Click the red exclamation point next to the layer to open the Change Data Source dialog box and browse to the correct source."

View solution in original post

8 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

What is the data source (SDE - SQL Server, Oracle, other, file gdb, shapefile, other)?

This has implications on how you can proceed, especially in terms of access to Oracle SDE database.

0 Kudos
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

They are shapefiles

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

So did all the shapefiles in your aprx project have a red exclamation point and do they all point to the same folder location?  I believe all the shapefiles would need to reside in 1 folder for your 1 click workflow to work.

0 Kudos
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

That is what I did. They all are in the same folder.

0 Kudos
Amber_Support
Esri Contributor

Hello! I have found this ArcGIS Blog post that gives 5 tips when fixing broken links which you can find here: ArcGIS Pro Tips: 5 Tips For Fixing Broken Data Links 

One tip states, "If you have several layers that reference the same data source, that need to be fixed, you can repair the links one time in the Contents pane and ArcGIS Pro automatically repairs other broken layers. For example, if you have several feature classes stored in the same geodatabase, and the geodatabase has been renamed. Click the red exclamation point next to the layer to open the Change Data Source dialog box and browse to the correct source."

PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

Yes !!!!! that is so much better and it has the screenshot to show me how this works.....  it's a life saver !

0 Kudos
Spatial_Fabio
New Contributor III

From multiple SDE layer it doesn't work. I have to repair manually one by one

AdrianMarsden
Occasional Contributor III

indeed - another step backwards for the (still IMHO pre-beta) software that is ArcGIS Pro.

I do wonder how these decisions to remove features are made - old desktop had the perfectly good "Repair" option that, well , did the job, but that is now gone.