Repair broken link for raster function?

03-14-2020 12:33 AM
DavidField
New Contributor III

Is it possible to repair a broken link for a raster created using the Raster Functions menu (e.g slope, multidirectional hillshade)? 

For a normal raster it's simply a matter of clicking the exclamation point and directing it to the file it's looking for, however with a raster function, it's source is the same as the raster it was created from. But if you point it to that raster you won't get the slope or hillshade you created previously, you'll just get a uniform grey mask.

9 Replies
LaineyLe_Blanc1
New Contributor III

Experiencing the same problem upon closing and re-opening projects. Tried relating back to the source DEM and only seeing a gray layer. I have several raster function layers and it's time consuming to rebuild all the raster function layers and/or to export each raster function layer. Hoping for a solution.

LaineyLe_Blanc1
New Contributor III

Following up on this, my co-worker submitted a bug report and did a support call with Esri staff. They had to completely rebuild the map and project documents. For a while the problem was fixed, but they are now experiencing the same problem where their raster function layers are broken and not visible.

AaronWorthley1
Occasional Contributor II

Same problem here- saving and reopening a map loses raster function layers (red exclamation pt). There's no apparent way to reset without removing and recreating the layer with raster function tools. 

JM32
by
New Contributor III

Same issue here...once you close an ArcGIS Pro project out and then reopen, all layers made through raster functions are broken. Only work around I've found is to write new layers instead of relying on raster function (AFR) layers.

SarahMacDonald1
New Contributor

I've experienced the same issue. While I haven't figured out the cause, I was able to recover some of the layers because I had inadvertently saved as a layout file a couple weeks prior & at the time opened that layout in another project and saved the project as a new file. I was able to use this second project to recover the raster function layers. It makes me wonder if the original files get timed out or deleted in a certain time period.

ESRI please fix or report on this issue as it can be difficult to retrace the raster function steps making recreating the work especially time consuming.  

ColinChupik_
New Contributor

I am experiencing the same issue here and did not have the same issue when generating temporary rasters with the image processing window in ArcMap. I prefer using the temporary raster files for large UAV/lidar datasets to save space on my computer.

Is there any chance ESRI can provide a fix for this problem? 

JohnARCastle
New Contributor

Same here. This problem has really taken the wind out of my sails with incorporating @JohnNelsonEsri 's hillshading techniques into my maps at work. I can't afford to take the extra time to repair these layers and it breaks my heart to forgo cartographic improvements for efficiency. Please help!

blueskytoph
New Contributor

Any new updates regarding this issue? I am having the same problem and it has really hendered my ability to get my work done. Would love to find some sort of solution but no luck yet. 

0 Kudos
jwalte07
New Contributor

I am also encountering the same problem and it has drastically reduced by ability to work with ArcGIS Pro - sometimes it is occurring in a matter of minutes. May as well stick to QGIS!

0 Kudos