Select to view content in your preferred language

Repair broken link for raster function?

03-14-2020 12:33 AM
DavidField
New Contributor III

Is it possible to repair a broken link for a raster created using the Raster Functions menu (e.g slope, multidirectional hillshade)? 

For a normal raster it's simply a matter of clicking the exclamation point and directing it to the file it's looking for, however with a raster function, it's source is the same as the raster it was created from. But if you point it to that raster you won't get the slope or hillshade you created previously, you'll just get a uniform grey mask.

12 Replies
collbett_geomorph
New Contributor

Same problem and it is happening frequently in ArcPro 3.2.2.  Please post something about a fix or I'll have to give up using raster functions in any project that I need something like a hillshade to persist between sessions.

0 Kudos
CarlVon_Stetten1
New Contributor III

I'm seeing a similar issue with raster layers that have no raster functions applied - just plain raster mosaic layers.  Other non-raster layers on the map do not load properly until the repair is done on the raster layers.  This happens whenever I open my Pro project.

0 Kudos
WJWalko
New Contributor

This works:  Make a persistent copy of the "transient" .afr file which is used for the raster-function output layer.

The output layer from the raster function is stored as an ".afr" file in ArcGIS's temporary workspace, as defined by Windows <TEMP> variable.  One can identify the specific file by right-clicking the raster-function output layer, select "Data"->"Add to Mosaic Dataset".  The specific .afr file will then be displayed in the Geoprocessing pane (see attached graphic).  One can then manually copy the "temporary" .afr file to a more "persistent" location, and give it a meaningful filename.  Lastly, change set "Properties"->"Source" of the raster-function layer to use your new "persistent" .afr file, instead of the original .afr file which is stored in temporary workspace.

WJWalko_0-1724516137598.png