Select to view content in your preferred language

Relate Tool not Working

05-23-2024 11:12 AM
Labels (2)
OghenemaroAustin-Igbuku
Emerging Contributor

I have tried to relate an open data feature layer to an open data standalone table. The standalone table contains multiple data relating to individual features within the feature layer. I followed the appropriate steps to relate the unique ID fields in both tables to create the relate but there is no output table. This doesn't change whether I use a csv. file or xlsx. file.

I am not sure what's wrong here, does anyone have any idea how I can fix this?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
KimOllivier
Honored Contributor

Relates are only possible with internal feature classes, not external data. You will have to either copy the data into a file geodatabase (always a good first step) or you could use python and dictionaries with cursors to get the related data if you are familiar with scripting.

OghenemaroAustin-Igbuku
Emerging Contributor

Thanks, but even after adding the feature class to the geodatabase, and adding the table to the geodatabase, nothing happens when I run the relates tool.

0 Kudos
KimOllivier
Honored Contributor

Ok, post up the table schema and attribute schema and your relate expression. there are two types of relate, a Map relate (in memory) and a database relate (stored in the database).

Are both primary and foreign key fields the same? Are they indexed? If they are characters lots of things go wrong with case, leading or trailing blanks, unicode. It is safest to use integers but now esri has wrecked things with Big Integers that don't always work.

What are you expecting with a relate? It is not a join. You can see related records with a popup, or a selection can be transferred with the hamburger options on the table. Otherwise fairly useless for mapping.

0 Kudos
OghenemaroAustin-Igbuku
Emerging Contributor

Okay, thank you for your help and for clarifying the scope of what a relate can do and what I need to look out for. I was able to display the information from my stand alone table without using the relate tool.

0 Kudos